Recent content by johncap523

1. J

Motion Sensor and compact fluorescent bulbs

Well, I just rigged a CFL-approved (by their package anyway) motion sensor to a closet light with a CFL bulb and am also getting the glow described above. Initially the bulb was flickering lightly but that stopped. It also is not as bright in auto on mode as in manual on mode. The QUESTION is...
  2. J

Forced air furnace question

I should add that too often not enough consideration is given to returns. Returns are critical, placement as well as size and number, in some cases. Especially for a/c but also for heat.
  3. J

Well, typically no one these days does too much to formally balance much of anything. They duct tape (yes, that stuff is actually used on ducts too) the metal together and hope it works sufficiently. Generally if it's all straightforward there's not to much that can go wrong aside from the...
  4. J

Help, furnace short-cycled to death

Virtually ALL heating systems and air conditioners/heat pumps are WAY oversized ESPECIALLY in new construction. When I used to teach hydronics for a local utility years ago, the standard joke we'd tell a new class was to ask them how you'd size this house. And the joke was you'd put your two...
  5. J

New Wall Registers

Typically returns just use open wall cavity, ie- space between the joists and drywall, in newer homes, so the grill is only a cover screwed to studs, hopefully, or drywall. Are these return grills attached to supply ducts that you can see? The registers need to match the outlets.
  6. J

Heating vent

You can have a damper installed in the trunk, if it is accessible, and throttle it down. Or you can acheive the same by clsoing the register in the room. If the register doesn't have a damper, replace it with one that does.
  7. J

Help - water heater flue pipe leak

Condensation, if that is what it is rather than melting snow coming in, is a problem that needs addressing. The fact that you stated above that the furnace isn't in the same vent is a problem. A water heater cannot produce enough exhaust heat to warm an outside vent. (An outside vent is one that...
  8. J

Size of the furnace is only one consideration. The balance and design of the ducts is the one that you could do some harm to by arbitrarily installing takeoffs to supply downstairs. Additionally, supplying heat to downstairs from above is obviously not optimal since heat rises... If cost...
  9. J

radiant verses baseboard on preexisting slab

Baseboard hydronic is my choice, but what about cooling? Have you considered a split ductless heat pump rather than a wall furnace?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks