Recent content by John5

1. John5

Water Softener Settings & Salt/Brine Grid Question.

Thanks for the tip. I had even thought of putting a coal stove... the big problem with that here in eastern Canada the anthracite comes from the States, dealers in Canada charge outrageous prices and importing it directly means buying a five years supply (to get reasonable price with shipping).
  2. John5

Wood pellets... that's my next thing, I want to set up a pellet stove for backup heat. I moved about 3 years ago, my old old house was pretty well 100% wood heat, my new house is 100% electric, 3 stories and has no chimney and to place a chimney in a 3 story house that had not provided for one...
  3. John5

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted here, this is a great site with lots of good help. I sure like my new softener, the dishes coming out of the dishwasher are sparkling! And there are almost no water spots in the stainless steel kitchen sink. I will also now be able to wash my new shiny...
  4. John5

Like most people I like to use things in the most efficient manner and in my case it's not that I'm a penny pincher but I'm lazy and I don't want to have to lug an extra forty pound bag of salt down the basement, lol... no I'm not really lazy, but I still want to lug as few bags of salt as...
  5. John5

Thank you Gary, that is a very good explanation of capacity vs actual usage. Also thank you for keeping your web site up, it is extremely helpful and useful for newbies, it helped me greatly with the size selection of my softener and helped me avoid costly mistakes!
  6. John5

I take it that I should I also up the capacity, like to 20K if I decide to use 6 pounds? Or 15K with 4 pounds?
  7. John5

It's all getting increasingly complicated, soon it will clear as mud...:confused: I think it says here http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/0202brine.pdf to expect 9 to 10 ppm hardness leakage with a 3# salt dose, slightly more than 1/2 grain, not all that bad. They mention the Double Backwash...
  8. John5

I was also not 100% sure or confident about the low 3lb cu/ft salt dose, the old ways says 6lb minimum, some of the newer information says 4 or 3 lbs minimum. I'm worried that this low 3# dosage for 13K might cause media depletion and I also set the 8 day override with this media depletion...
  9. John5

I'm not an expert, that is why I came here asking for advice, and I much appreciate you guys taking time to freely share your knowledge! There is a lot of conflicting (or outright wrong) information out there so the less knowledgeable ones (like me) can often be led down the wrong path. Many...
  10. John5

That is contrary to what is being said almost everywhere on the internet and in almost all softener documentation, most say to not allow more than 10 to 14 days between regens for better resin life and performance.
  11. John5

Thank you, Dittohead. I will bump up the hardness settings and set a second 5 minute backwash. The 7000SXT valve is noisy, I'm not sure if it is actually sucking air but I'll double check to make sure that it isn't. John
  12. John5

Hi, I got tired of washing dishes by hand or hiding them in the oven so I finally broke down and installed a softener... I have "temporary" hard water, total hardness 224mg/l (13.44 grains) iron is negligible (0.039mg/l). Using Gary Slusser's Softener Sizing Chart and Cubic Foot and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks