Recent content by John Gayewski

1. John Gayewski

Diagnosing problems with NPE 240A recirculation

Here's one I installed a while ago (not quite done at the time of the photo). If there were an integral check valve the engineer might have only drawn one check valve. But it definitely needs two. The cold will definitely pass into the recirculation return line and you'll get cold water only. It...
  2. John Gayewski

No. Just no. I don't know why your continuing with this. I'm hoping your not a plumber and praying you start looking at some schematics. Your just saying ridiculousness. If your describing an injection type of recirculation they need two check valves. Your pump probably has one internally as...
  3. John Gayewski

He has a dedicated recirc line. The valve needs to be set on external. The internal setting of that valve is for homes with no recirc line and it only flows through the heater. It for preventing stacking in the heater and getting hot water quicker as the coil and small tank are "always" hot.
  4. John Gayewski

The water doesn't move reverse through the system. Your not fully grasping the concept here. Water has to replace the air. It can't move backward through the check valve which leaves a large void where water cannot travel. The more you comment the more it's obvious you're not grasping here...
  5. John Gayewski

Are recirculating loops/pumps dangerous for my house?

Sounds like your should be below the max.
  6. John Gayewski

Roughly a 1/2" line at 2.8gpm should be traveling at around 3ft.per sec At 3.2 gpm it should be about 3.4 ft per sec. You should be under the max for 1/2copper. Which (going from memory) is about 4ft per sec. If that pump does what you say it does you should be good.
  7. John Gayewski

All pumps (centrifugal) need water to pump. If there's no water in the line it can't pump. Some system configurations are more apt to need more bleeding than others. But in general and most of the time if a system is drained the recirc line needs refilled with water. Most configurations of...
  8. John Gayewski

No. Water takes the path of least resistance. It's easier for water to travel from the supply to the outlet. There's no reason for it to go around a loop first.
  9. John Gayewski

Cast Iron lining

Can you reroute if you add a sewage ejection pump into the equation? I have had some lining done on jobs where it was the best option. You just have to call to see if someone will do it. There's no way to know. It's gonna be expensive.
  10. John Gayewski

Are you sure the recirc line itself has been fully bled out? It can take a surprisingly large amount of water to fully burp the air from the line and if there's a bubble in the pipe it won't circulate. Hopefully your system is setup to give a good bleed with a garden hose attached and ran to a...
  11. John Gayewski

What size pipe did they use. 1/2 pipe was the norm for a long time which did cause velocity issues. As long as the recirc line is 3/4" pipe you should be good. That is, as long as you have the smallest pump made for these things.
  12. John Gayewski

Shower help please is hubby right?

It doesn't need to be an exterior wall. Any wall will do. You need to start with a location you can run a dry vent or a location where you can cut into the bathroom group piping to convert to a horizontal wet vent configuration.
  13. John Gayewski

Confused about direction of bathroom fan flapper

The flapper should hang shut. It shouldn't be able to fall open only fall shut.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks