Recent content by JHZR2

1. JHZR2

1970s(?) Kohler/Bradley/Cole Shower Control Leaks

Lol, ok, but what kind of practical advice is that?!? Does anyone know if that type of control is more prone to leakage and issues? I suppose the best advice might be to get rid of such an antiquated control... But then again, new stuff may be junk...
  2. JHZR2

1970s(?) Kohler/Bradley/Cole Shower Control Leaks

My master bath was likely redone in the 70s, perhaps the early 80s. It has all Kohler labeled stuff, but the shower and sink controls are single knob Kohler/Bradley/Cole (I've seen it noted multiple ways) with a plastic valve that requires a flat rubber gasket. We were away for a long weekend...
  3. JHZR2

Flat vs pointed-top tapered threads

Well, Ive got the Kohler end sealed and since its out of the wall, in the shower, Im not terribly concerned with it... Its the general depiction and differences/compatibility of these threads that Im interested in. Is it acceptable to replace an item with threads as are shown for the old arm...
  4. JHZR2

Flat vs pointed-top tapered threads

Im replacing the shower arm that was ca. 1975 when the bathroom was redone with all USA-made Kohler stuff. The shower arm is just too low and Im too tall, plus our shower head sprung a leak. (Im putting this in the general forum because Im primarily curious about threads and sealing, not the...
  5. JHZR2

At wit's end regarding icemaker and dishwasher lines

Ok, so it's box store stupidity coupled with not really mattering much for that tube size. I'm going to use copper for the icemaker, as I've seen many complaints of PVC innards of stainless braided hoses imparting a taste into the water. Since the only thing I will do with water from my...
  6. JHZR2

So refrigeration and utility grade tubing is ok? Thanks for the reassurance. But it begs the question, if it's not an issue, then why isn't thinner wall tubing used elsewhere in homes? Since copper is relatively expensive, why not go that route in general? Just asking... And, if...
  7. JHZR2

Thanks! What confused me is 3/8 OD vs 3/8id, since samsung recommends 3/8 OD copper. That causes an issue of no type L, at the box stores; only type UT and refrigeration rated copper. And no long non-flood safes at the yellow and blue box stores by me. Amazingly. So your recommendation is...
  8. JHZR2

Subject about says it all. Doing kitchen renovation, put in undersink valves for icemaker (on cold) and dishwasher (on hot). Then I read about not using PE for the icemaker. Of course that's what I bought. Then I read about those floodsafe hoses cracking and leaking at the connection, which...
  9. JHZR2

How to apply caulk to seal water pipe through basement wall

Interesting. My gas pipe into the house is sloped upwards, and has a concentric profile like that. It leaked last night under the heavy downpours - had never seen that before. Mine is metal in metal. No idea what is clogged in the gap, but surely it is quite old.
  10. JHZR2

Wye Setup for Laundry Sink and Possible Standpipe - Renewing 90 YO CI Plumbing

This is a continuation of the thread here: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?53033-90-yo-cast-iron-sewer-pipe-in-basement-leaking Where Im replacing my CI drain because of cracking. I need to figure out the fittings to set it up correctly, and I thought that was deservant of a new...
  11. JHZR2

Charlotte Pipe TruFit System - important?

Bought a bunch of 4" sch 40 PVC at Lowes to tie in to some bad CI pipe. It was all Charlotte brand. In more than one place it says to not mix with other brands, because Charlotte uses the same tolerances of everything, while other manufacturers (may not?) don't. Thing is, I found a few...
  12. JHZR2

Lawsuit or Recall of Am,Standard Champion toilets ?

So I did some more checking about my leak. It leaked right down to the bottom of the flap. In fact it looked like it was 1/16 below the top of the grey part. That was after an overnight sit. After a weekend the result was the same. Last night I doubled up the gasket - put the OE one on...
  13. JHZR2

it could be, but while there always was a very slow leak that caused a very seldom cycling of the fill valve, it is very fast now that I have the other seal on. Im going to try the double trick, and if it works, I may just go buy two red ones and stack them...
  14. JHZR2

I stopped the water when just the red gasket was covered but not the black thing on top. I could still hear water trickling, so it seems that it is the gasket somehow. These things are pretty foolproof, so I fail to see what I could have done wrong twice... But I going to swap back to the blue...
  15. JHZR2

Hi! Yes it is a green rubber duck! Unfortunately my job is not as good as Id like, while the first few flushes it seems to seal and hold water, we woke up this AM to the toilet pulling water about once every five seconds for about a second. Your note of the black tube being too far down was...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks