Recent content by Jeremy Harris

1. Jeremy Harris

Corded float switches

The last one I bought had a three core cable. Use two of the cores for pump on when high, two others for pump off when high. I have to say the instructions weren't great; I ended up sticking a meter on each wire to work out how to wire it up for what I wanted (pump off when high, pump on when...
  2. Jeremy Harris

Pump and tank advice, please, borehole supply in the UK

I can tell you I ran pretty fast from the well pit to the pump house to turn the pump off when I first saw the 12 bar pump-side gauge bouncing off the back side of the zero pressure stop, when I had the 8 litre/minute restrictor fitted. It was like one of those Scotty moments from Star Trek...
  3. Jeremy Harris

Just to say I resolved the potential dispute with the drillers amicably, and was compensated for the shorter depth drilled than paid for (with a good explanation as to how the error happened), the Grundfos pump is getting fixed by the drilling company, no matter what Grundfos have to say about...
  4. Jeremy Harris

Very good questions!. I guess I went for the higher rate pump on the basis that "bigger is better", even though I know that's not a good argument. Also, at the time I bought this pump I didn't notice the fact that both these 3" pumps were positive displacement "progressive cavity pumps". TBH...
  5. Jeremy Harris

One of the consequences of pumping sand seems to have been that the Grundfos SQ1-65 pump no longer wants to pump above about 5 bar (~72 psi). I was operating this system with a turn off pressure of 5 bar and a turn on pressure of 4 bar (~58 psi) with two 300 litre bladder-type pressure tanks...
  6. Jeremy Harris

Thanks that's very useful, as I've checked the big tablets I have and they are exactly as you describe. They are intended to dissolve very, very slowly over many days and they can leave chloramines behind in the water. I'd hunted around and found a place locally that sells the pellets you...
  7. Jeremy Harris

Thanks for the kind words. Do you know what the "floaters" are? I'm guessing some sort of bacterial growth, as the well has had some dirty pipes and a lot of air chucked down it over the past week or so, and I remember getting some sort of iron bacteria slime stuff when we first cleaned the...
  8. Jeremy Harris

BTW, if anyone is really bored, here's the video of the camera going down the whole 53m (around 174 feet) depth of our well: The resting water level is 4m down (around 13 feet) down, so the first part has the glare of the LEDs lights shining back up from the water surface. It takes a time...
  9. Jeremy Harris

Sadly that's the only one I had, otherwise I'd gladly let you have one for free. I did have two, but gave the second one away to a diver friend who wanted to make a really powerful underwater torch some year ago. It's not too difficult a thing for a machine shop, or home machinist, to make...
  10. Jeremy Harris

Very many thanks for the kind words, I'm very grateful, especially as I'm sort of feeling my way in the dark here (literally, at times!). Last night I modified the camera to make a new lighting rig, a smaller diameter ring of white LEDs, set in a pit of alloy bar more or less the same size as...
  11. Jeremy Harris

OK, so I ran the camera down the well yesterday and had a problem (which I've fixed last night) but did get some very useful information (Oh, and the home-made lash-up camera works well!). First off, when I made up the light ring to fit around the camera I forgot about the internal bore size of...
  12. Jeremy Harris

Although I've not done any more on the well over the weekend, and I managed to put off going up and doing the filter job in the cabin in the woods for another week, I decided to see if I could knock up a DIY borehole inspection camera. I didn't want to buy anything, but luckily I never throw...
  13. Jeremy Harris

Thanks for the reassuring comments. I am going to try and get a camera down the well tomorrow, because I've had suspicions right from the off that these drillers were not exactly the "A Team". The crap I washed out of the hole today pretty much proved that, although the scrappy well head in...
  14. Jeremy Harris

Quick update, photos to follow later, but I'm pretty sure (short of putting a camera down the hole) that I've reached the bottom, maybe 8m short of where it's supposed to be. I'll post photos when I get home to show more detail (posting from this mobile connection ain't easy). Today I added a...
  15. Jeremy Harris

That is seriously gross. It would haunt me for years knowing there had been stuff like that down the well, and knowing that there was a pretty good chance that you'd never got all the bits of rabbit out........................
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks