Recent content by JeffV

1. JeffV

Questions about going to 200amp service

My plan is to upgrade to 200amp service when I build the garage and install the new panel - that is not in question. My question was whether it's doable to then make my existing 100amp into a SUB of the new main panel. From what Chris75 says, it sounds like that is definitely doable. I would...
  2. JeffV

Questions about going to 200amp service

I am going to be building a garage addition in a couple months and have a couple questions regarding electrical service. My current service is 100amp (overhead), feeding into the side of my house where the garage addition is going to be built. I put in a work order w/ my power company and they...
  3. JeffV

Toilet flange is level w/ finished tile floor

and not sitting on top of it as it should. Will a normal wax ring fail to seal in this situation (its only 1/4" off), and if so which is the best way to deal w/ this: Stack 2 wax rings Use an extra thick wax ring Use a pvc flange extender Also, are the wax rings w/ plastic horns bad...
  4. JeffV

GFCI and lighting in bathroom

As I understand it is primarily due to the draw that hair dryers have...in the neighborhood of 1,400 watts I believe. You need to check w/ your city/county to be sure what code is...i'd imagine you'll find that they require a 20amp circuit be run for bathroom GFCI. As I mentioned, in my area...
  5. JeffV

GFCI and lighting in bathroom

Code (in my area at least) is that you can run the whole bathroom on one 20amp circuit. You can wire it in such a way (pigtails off the back of the GFCI outlet) that your power source that continues on to the lights, etc. w/o being affected by the GFCI outlet tripping. Jeff
  6. JeffV

New basement bathroom - Bad concrete pour?

I had taken pictures after I poured it and floated it. Incriminating evidence below. I think I could have gone for a swim! Yikes :eek:
  7. JeffV

This is EXACTLY what happened in my situation... "...When you are finishing it, you should float up enough fines (sand and cement) to get a smooth surface. If you get a puddle of water when you finish it, you used too much water." At least I know what I did wrong. My only past experience...
  8. JeffV

Thanks for all the suggestions. You all have been a great help. I do believe I can get away w/ just tiling over it. At minimum I may have to use the SLC to fill in a couple very small low areas in my pour. The sand/dust are definitely down to a minimum now and I'm thinking the thinset...
  9. JeffV

That may be my best option then. No drywall or anything up at this point, just framing, so the bottom plate would make a good perimeter to run the leveler up to. Thanks for the reply. Jeff
  10. JeffV

I scrubbed the whole area yesterday w/a very coarse, hard brush (made for cleaning concrete) then took the shop-vac to it. That definitely seemed to make it better in the sense that there is not as much sandy, gritty substance coming off....but it still comes off it you drag your foot accross...
  11. JeffV

Moving right along on my basement bath project, the last thing I thought I'd screw up was the concrete patch. - I'm not real sure what to do at this point, but I poured 14 bags of 80lb quickrete and one week later, the finished floor surface is rough and gritty. Anytime I walk on it I kick...
  12. JeffV

Dap-Out or not??

Sounds good. That's what I was hoping to hear... that you cement back over them. Thanks HJ.
  13. JeffV

Dap-Out or not??

My tub is already set and I'm about to backfill and pour concrete (basement slab). I understand in my area that a dap out and access panel are code if I've got a drain stop w/ the mechanics inside the pipe. I don't have this type of stopper and know that by code I don't need an access panel...
  14. JeffV

Jetting a 47 yr old CI main drain?

Not so sure the existing CI is "that" brittle... That's according to the plumbing company. I was just hoping to see what experiences of others are...is it typical of CI pipe to become that brittle over time? I've read the life expectancy of it is 75-100 years. The professional jetting...
  15. JeffV

Jetting a 47 yr old CI main drain?

My Cast Iron main drain is little more than 1/3 full w/ sediment (per recent camera run down pipe). I've been advised by a local plumbing company that I could have it jetted but I would run a 95% risk of breaking the old CI pipe as the jetting machine runs at 2200 psi. They advised replacing...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks