Recent content by jefferson17

1. jefferson17

Hot Water Recirculator questions

If we put a crossover at the front of the basement (current location of water heater and near risers) then we eliminate extra wait time that would be added when we install the new indirect in the rear of the basement. But ... that's only a partial solution. I guess I really do need to figure...
  2. jefferson17

I can do a dedicated return line but only so far - certainly inside the basement - to eliminate the extra 50' run when we move from our current electric water heater to the new indirect off a boiler. You make a good point about a possible warranty issue w/ the indirect - I'll have to check w/...
  3. jefferson17

We're considering a hot water recirculator but have some concerns if one would really be right for us, and if so, really which one. We have 4 stories of living space plus a basement below. The top 2 levels are each 1 BR apts. The water heater is in the basement, close to the risers. I...
  4. jefferson17

Converting oil to gas. Have 10 year Weil Mclain. Would appreciate advice and costs.

Hi Dana, Once again – THANK YOU! You are so incredibly helpful and I can't stress enough how thankful we are to benefit from your expertise and knowledge! For grins and giggles I did a rework that way and came up w/ a heat loss of just under 50K – including the entire 1000 sq ft basement...
  5. jefferson17

Converting oil to gas. Have 10 year Weil Mclain. Would appreciate advice and costs.

Hi Dana, >> Yep- the real heat loads are a lot lower than most people think they are. I know that you have some very fancy tool - and I'm guessing that normal folk like me don't have access to it. I had a thought - would you consider looking at that spreadsheet that I used before? I bet...
  6. jefferson17

Dana, Well I'll be DAMNED! I got a hold of Slant Fin's heat loss calculator and very carefully went through it. With an inside temp of 70 and design temp of 15, I get a heat loss of 55,245. And this is probably still at least a bit high by perhaps 3-5K, since I couldn't tell it...
  7. jefferson17

Hi Dana and Tom, Here's some stuff I've found on US Boiler / Burnham. Interestingly they are based right here in PA. So I would have to believe that it would be easy to get parts etc. But their BBB rating isn't great and they aren't accredited. Most of the bad reviews are from products...
  8. jefferson17

>> A 40 gallon indirect would be fine if it's just 2 showers at a time. With drainwater heat recovery and the 60K output of a ESC3 you could pretty much run 2 simultaneous showers all day long. (Shhhhh!) She'll HEAR YOU! :) >> Adding an indirect is not a function of the boiler's...
  9. jefferson17

Hi Dana, >> A 40-50 gallon hot water heater isn't going to support 4 simultaneous showers + other loads for very long on it's own with only 60K of burner outut underneath it. With drainwater heat recovery 60 gallons could do OK though. Gotcha! It would be pretty rare for us to have more...
  10. jefferson17

I'll look for the shower boost piece - there's a lot of info and I'm very grateful to have it! I don't think that the one guy was intentionally trying to mislead me. I try and go by "trust but verify". Most people are reasonably honest, but they "know what they know". Same in my industry...
  11. jefferson17

Hi Tom, Thanks for chiming in! It is so great to have access to you, Dana and the others here and benefit from your knowledge and experience! >> Never add anything for the indirect load. It is an intermittent load and over-sizing the boiler by say 40K for what amounts to probably less than...
  12. jefferson17

Hi Jim, Thanks for chiming in. Yes I do understand that the boiler sizing isn't affected by an indirect water heater. We are JUST 4 showers - and 2 of them are for only Amy and I. One of the heating guys who was here claimed we'd need to add 40K for an indirect. It's very nice to know he...
  13. jefferson17

Hi Tom, I would greatly appreciate it if you share your thoughts on a few subjects here - would you mind? Thanks in advance for your generous time. If people like you and Dana weren't so very helpful, it would be difficult to get really good info - even from all the hours that I spend...
  14. jefferson17

Advice on converting oil boiler to gas, adding indirect water heater

Added: fyi on hot water needs. We have 4 showers. There is 1 bathtub upstairs (4th floor apt) but is used only for showers. Each upstairs apt has 1 shower. We have 2 showers in our unit (floors 1 and 2). It's just Amy and I in our unit. All shower heads (including ours) are Delta h20...
  15. jefferson17

Gosh I'm glad that you are joking - I'd never consider that vs just getting a new proper gas boiler.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks