Recent content by Jdoll42

1. Jdoll42

Sewage Pump stops with a THUD

My sewer line leaves the house well above the basement floor. To compensate for this, there is a small pump in a sealed chamber that takes any water from the floor drain and pumps it up to the main sewer line. I recently had a flow-through humidifier installed. This causes the sewer pump to...
  2. Jdoll42

Gas Line Filter?

I don't know if this is appropriate for this board or not, but I figured that most plumbers have some experience with gas lines too. Anyway, I have a commercial natural gas stove with a pilot on each burner (6 total). The pilots slowly get lower and lower over several months until they refuse...
  3. Jdoll42

Submersible vs. Jet Pump Setup

A while back you guys (and gals?) gave me some great advice. I was looking at burying a concrete cistern to collect rainwater for irrigation purposes. Now the time has nearly arrived and I've got a few quick technical questions: 1. If I use a submersible pump, I plan to lay it a few inches...
  4. Jdoll42

Pool Wiring

Agreed 100%! I'm scared for the safety of the pool occupants (#1) and the safety of the house (#2). That's why I think it needs redone. I wonder if one of those "overpriced, underqualified contractors" installed their original pool wiring. :eek:
  5. Jdoll42

Pool Wiring

I desperately need to replace the power run to my inlaw's pool. They jumpered it off of the sunroom circuit which was probably already overloaded. You should see the lights dim when the pump kicks on. I guess that's what you get when you let pool guys do electric work. Anyway, the easiest...
  6. Jdoll42

Power Sags

Update: They installed an additional capacitor to the system. The lights barely blink now. If you are paying attention you can see when the unit kicks on, but otherwise it's hardly noticeable. The installer said he contacted the manufacturer of the heat pump, then ended up contacting the...
  7. Jdoll42

Wire protection

I've seen a small business that had this exact problem. Their solution was to work with the local telco and had them run a buried wire into the business, but leave the old wiring on the outside of the building. Now, should someone decide to cut the phone lines, they will be cutting the old...
  8. Jdoll42

bit of confusion now...

Ok. I get it now. It detects the current going to ground ELSEWHERE on the circuit instead of back through the neutral wire, thus the Ground Fault part. If the current on the hot wire doesn't match the current on the neutral wire, it's going somewhere it's not supposed to. Well you learn...
  9. Jdoll42

HVAC Design -- returns necessary on each floor?

I'm not a pro, but common sense tells me if you are putting more air into a room than you are sucking out, that room will become positively pressured. That can cause all sorts of fun things, such as doors to slamming unexpectedly. Then you just lost all airflow through room. Like jadnashua...
  10. Jdoll42

bit of confusion now...

If you wire them in series properly, the first GFCI in the chain will protect anything that follows it. Bingo! Your GFCI's should also come with stickers that you can put on the outlets beyond the GFCI to indicate they are also GFCI protected. I'm not an electrician, but don't GFCI's work off...
  11. Jdoll42

Water Heater too hot? (Not the water!)

Check your flue to make sure it's drawing a draft properly. I've seen this once before and the fix was to extend the pipe after it exits the roof a few feet higher. You might also have an obstruction in your flue somewhere. Is this flue shared by anything else? Do the match stick test as...
  12. Jdoll42

Power Sags

The heat pump is a GeoComfort GT072TL111CBDSSA. Of course they updated their manuals to the newer models, so my model number doesn't work against what is currently on their page. However, I did find a "catalog" of theirs with the model number reference page and all of the specs...
  13. Jdoll42

Power Sags

Now just convince my wife she's crazy too. Good luck!
  14. Jdoll42

Power Sags

I think the distance is somewhere around 100'. I'd have to go measure it off for better accuracy. It's really not very far compared to some of the other neighbors. I wasn't home when they ran the service from the transformer to the house. Being that it's all underground or in conduit, I...
  15. Jdoll42

fewest splices possible?

The local inspector told me to not have more than 3 (maybe 4) wires under a single nut for that exact reason. I designed my wiring in my house to keep multiple wire junctions to a minimum. In some remodel work I've done with the inlaws, they had some nuts with 5 or 6 wires each under them. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks