Recent content by Jdbs3

1. Jdbs3

Replacing Flapper In Kohler Toilet - What's with the float?

Ok, I plan to use the Korky brand. Fixing it is no issue; I've done it before, albeit the non-float type. But I always like to know the 'why' behind a product design. Why does Kohler use a float type? I understand what is does (flapper stay open longer, allowing more water to enter bowl...
  2. Jdbs3

Replacing Flapper In Kohler Toilet - What's with the float?

Have a Kohler toilet with the phantom flush, so will replace the flapper. I've done this on Toto's before, but found the Kohler has a chain float attached to the flapper. A google search noted: "A chain float helps the flapper stay open a bit longer, allowing more water to enter the bowl for a...
  3. Jdbs3

Trying to remove shower knob, but no screw head - arg!

Seemed simple enough - take off face plate, remove screw, remove knob, ... BUT the screw head had disintegrated leaving nothing to grip to remove the screw. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to now remove the threads? All that remains is a "flatish" surface with no depth where the...
  4. Jdbs3

Pipe Dope and Fittings Not Dry

I'm replacing a boiler drain with a gate valve with one that has a ball valve. I will isolate the boiler by first closing ball valves on the return and supply side of the boiler (yes they will also be replaced after this boiler drain). I may or may not need to replace the nipple between the...
  5. Jdbs3

Replacing boiler gate valves with ball valves

Time to replace some 20 year old gate valves that may be partially stuck closed, with ball valves. Above one of the gate valves, there is a T (that connects to a PRV)--> 1" x ~2 1/4" copper pipe section --> copper female adapter --> brass 1" close nipple --> the gate valve. I'm hoping that...
  6. Jdbs3

Boiler - replacing gate valves with ball valves

I'm replacing shut-off gate valves on the supply and return to my boiler with ball valves. Some of these have multiple fixtutes (e.g. nipples, adapters, small sections of pipe) between the boiler and a Taco circulator pump, and between the pump and the continuation of the piping. All of these...
  7. Jdbs3

Thud when flushing new Toto toilet

A few years ago I installed a Toto Drake - great toilet. Recently, I installed 2 more Drake's in my house. Both work fine. However, the one in a power room on the first floor makes a distinctive 'thud' nose when flushed for #1. The noise is coming from the flapper that drops down to allow...
  8. Jdbs3

Granite Vanity Tops

RE: Are you sure you want 2 sinks in a 49" wide lavatory? seems tight. Working with what I have there now. Only replacing the vanity top; reusing the existing vanity. Don't have the #'s in front of me, but end up with ~3 3/4" to the side of each bowl, and 12.5" from the side to the side...
  9. Jdbs3

Granite Vanity Tops

Renovating a bathroom and will replace the old composite vanity top with a granite counter top - 49" wide with 2 sinks. Locally, I found a lumber place that sells Wolf natural granite vanity tops. See their Palette series http://www.wolfleader.com/products/brand/palette-vanity-tops/. There...
  10. Jdbs3

Toto Drake vs. Drake II

Purchased 2 Drakes (CST744EG#01), please with them. In the market for a third toilet. What is the difference between a Drake and Drake II? thanks
  11. Jdbs3

How to test a tub/shower valve body for leaks

Redoing a bathroom tile tub surround. Prior to tiling, I needed to diagnose and locate a previous known tub leak. I opened up the ceiling below, and yes the leak was still there. It appeared to be coming from around the valve body. I removed all the old tiles around the tub. Now I can't...
  12. Jdbs3

Toto Toilet Question

A few years ago, I purchased two Toto Drake toilets after reading the comments on this forum – C744EG bowl with ST743 tank. I was sold on the CEFIONTECT to aid with the bowl wash. As per the literature - “CEFIONTECT glaze prevents debris, and mold from sticking to ceramic surfaces, leading to...
  13. Jdbs3

Push-Fit Connections and Deburring - a minor but important question

Tiling a floor and will first remove a vanity. The copper water feeds come through the bottom of the vanity; the holes are just big enough for the water feeds and the PVC drain pipe. After installing the vanity, the builder added shout-off valves. So the only way to avoid destroying the...
  14. Jdbs3

Bathroon Vanity Install Issue - This was supposed to be the simple part!

Update Terry, Ok, I'll do this. But from what I have seen, while the vanity will now be level, the granite top will still rock with the 1/16" under the right front corner. I called the manufacturer and asked about putting a shim under that corner. This steadies it. They said they...
  15. Jdbs3

Bathroon Vanity Install Issue - This was supposed to be the simple part!

Just completed a tile floor; now reinstalling a single sink vanity with a new granite counter top. This was supposed to be the simple part. Wrong! The base of the vanity sits firmly on the tile and does not rock in any direction. So is it level - no! Placing a level around the top...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks