Recent content by jay_sfb

1. J

Securing a vent stack

That's the problem with old construction. My walls are lathe and plaster; not exactly something you want to hang your plumbing from :). Boring the adjacent stud might work, but there really isn't a lot of room behind it to work in a clamp, and I'm afraid I would bust the plaster if I tried...
  2. J

Securing a vent stack

Both. The pipes run right along the stud, so there is no room for a clamp. The same is true at floor level, of course, which is why I thought about going above the wall and grabbing it in the attic. I think I read that code says <15' to support a vertical run (this would be about 5' away), so...
  3. J

Securing a vent stack

I've run into a couple of situations now where I need to cut into a vertical stack to either replace a damaged connection or re-route the stack. In both cases, however, the stack runs too close to a stud to use a riser clamp near the repair junction. Is there another solution, or am I just...
  4. J

DIY philosophy

I think it's the other way around -- x7 not /7, or ~370 dog years... Just doing my part to save you from yourself :D. Jay
  5. J

My Tankless Experiment

The website listed from the DIY program is www.buytankless.com And so the reason why I am so interested in this experiment. I have gas and would consider having the service upgraded for a tankless if I could get a sense of how much it costs to operate compared to storage.
  6. J

My Tankless Experiment

Talk about coincidence -- and I suspect this will make GP particularly itchy -- but DIYNetworks recently ran an episode on pulling an old tank heater and replacing it with an electric tankless. This is particularly interesting to me, since the old system was gas and the new one is electric...
  7. J

My Tankless Experiment

I did a lot of research on HE direct-vents and tankless a few months ago when I was first scoping my renovation. The most consistent criticism of tankless was the risk of no heat/inconsistent heat at low flow. In your opinion, is this overstated? I also ran across the AO Smith Vertex PV...
  8. J

Tight fit in an older house

The project is four months old, but it was one of those "the old woman who ate the fly stories": unclogging a drain begat replacing a leaking faucet begat restoring the old medicine cabinet begat refinishing the walls begat... In the end, I learned the hard way (GP is chuckling right now...
  9. J

David, The new toilet will stay in the same relative position (code being what it is), but probably connect to the DWV in the crawlspace below (I realized after making my original post I could cut out the hub entirely; for some reason my mind was fixed on cutting to either side of it). I am...
  10. J

Code Check guide books?

I saw these at the local lumber yard and thought they looked like a good thumbnail reference for an aspiring DIY'er like myself. I have a lot of experience with patch-or-replace jobs, but I'm rapidly moving toward more complex remodelling projects that will require extensive changes or...
  11. J

Frenchie, Believe me, this isn't the worst of it. Here's the remains of where the old bathtub was connected to the drain: I am still trying to figure out how to do this one. There's nothing to sister to, so it may require a complete replacement (also out of my league). It gets even...
  12. J

All, I've been lurking on Terry Love's forums for several weeks now and have really appreciated the discussions to-date. This is my first post, so please excuse me in advance if I sound a little naive or am asking something that has been answered elsewhere. I'm working on a remodel of my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks