Recent content by jackofalltradesman

1. jackofalltradesman

Just installed a new Electronic Sump Switch

Lastly, on the Wayne AU5ES/PumpBiz switch (because I think this was beaten down by a few who have done everything but try one) I have to respond to the timer for "off" on the pump. First, the timer means you do not need a sensor that remains submerged in water. Second, unless the drain tile...
  2. jackofalltradesman

---------------------- Baloney. This IS a "good" sensor/switch. The timer for the pump is easily adjusted and allows one to take the water all the way down to the bottom of the pit. That plus the flexibility and ease of setting the level that switches the pump on make the switch very...
  3. jackofalltradesman

__________ That is not how the switch works so i wonder where you got that quote. The wire has nothing to do with turning the pump off. You set a timer ( 0 - 60 seconds) for the "off" on this switch.
  4. jackofalltradesman

What we are talking about (a very thin wire tinned with an alloy that fights corrosion which is momentarily in contact with water) is so minimal that it is of no consequence to the reliability or operation of the sytem. The wire does not even gather an eye-drop of water or really, any...
  5. jackofalltradesman

Pumpbiz explains the switch on their site. "]http://www.pumpbiz.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod_performance&product_id=7686&product_name=Flood%20Free%20Switch&product_number=50470%20Floodfree&graph_large=Floodfree%5Ffeatures%2Ejpg&alt=floodfree%20switch[/URL] and, the corrosion...
  6. jackofalltradesman

Sump Pump Starts and Stops Constantly

----------------- The pump the former plumber used (and which was problematic) was a Zoeller but was not the "M-53." It was a cheap plastic pump that we discontinued when we got rid of that plumber. I don't know the model number but I saved one of them and took a picture. This pump is the...
  7. jackofalltradesman

--------------- Nothing wrong with the Zoeller M53 and that is obviously one of the best names in the industry. Having said that though, we thought that the Might Mate just used the venerable name Zoeller on a lightweight product. We had a few problems and complaints about those (why do you...
  8. jackofalltradesman

----- It isn't actually touched by the water. It senses ground when the water gets close. I believe the folks who designed this took oxidation into account and therefore, the wire is tinned with an alloy that appears to resist scaling and oxidation. No system is 100% bullet-proof but even if...
  9. jackofalltradesman

---------------------- We stopped using the Zoeller 1/3 hp mighty mate because of lack of reliability over time and upgraded the standard sump pump spec to 1/2 h.p. cast iron. I have no dog in the sump pump manufacturer contest, and we do not use Flotec, but it looks like they make pumps that...
  10. jackofalltradesman

-------------------------------- I understand this issue entirely as I share the same problem and have tried a few things. First, as a builder, I am concerned about the footings and foundation settling if you just leave the water table around the drain tile stay over it. Remember, the drain...
  11. jackofalltradesman

---------------------- Carmel corn: There is no switch in the water with the Wayne electronic switch. The sensor is just an insulated wire with about 3/4" stripped and tinned at the end. It is always out of the water. When the water level gets close it triggers the electronic switch which...
  12. jackofalltradesman

Sump starts and stops.... "If a pocket of air is in the area where the impeller is turning, IT WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH FORCE TO OPEN THE CHECK VALVE." ---------------------------------- Sounds like a very weak pump, that is, a pump that is stopped by a pocket of air.;) In any event, there are...
  13. jackofalltradesman

Forget the electronic switch, tell us about air-lock As I read the reponses to the electronic switch, I am thinking now that maybe the product should be used even beyond the situation where people want to avoid frequent cycles. I just don't see a downside but I do like the idea of not...
  14. jackofalltradesman

Bad advice from plumber I am a builder and believe your advice is the wrong advice to someone who needs to maximize the amount of water pumped out at each cycle. First, you say you get calls and see a pump constantly running, but then admit that it is probably a bad switch. That is what the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks