Recent content by Inspektor Ludwig

1. Inspektor Ludwig

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"

It just makes my head hurt.............. Made you take out type L soft copper? Hope he gave you a good reason, I don't see what the big deal is. Just a note: you can no longer wet vent a laundry sink into a c/w stack. Laundry sinks now require a 2" drain, who knows why they changed it. As...
  2. Inspektor Ludwig

How to diagnose where septic odor is coming from ?

Ok so it's the tub, at least that's a start. I have seen a fan pull air through a trap but the fan was much bigger and the room was sealed pretty tight. Took a wee bit of effort to open the door. I've also seen traps on basement level fixtures "burp" sewer gas when AAVs are used, since they...
  3. Inspektor Ludwig

Were you able to find the area of the smell? Did you check your traps first? A trap can siphon if there is something plugging it downstream, but you should be able to tell which trap is dry if that was the case and yes, if something wasn't draining properly you could siphon other traps but I...
  4. Inspektor Ludwig

First thing is put your nose right down into that tub drain. It'll be pretty strong so there would no mistaking where it's coming from. If it's not the tub then try the sink drain and under the sink and around the toilet. If the smell gets stronger with the fan on, then turn it on and you may...
  5. Inspektor Ludwig

Plumbing 101 - Reduce main supply to 1/2"

It should be a big deal. You shouldn't have a copper to galv. connection, I hope he installed some brass between the two. I'd get him out there and have him fix it and do it the right way, you're losing volume and increasing the risk of a pinhole leaks down the road with decreasing the size...
  6. Inspektor Ludwig

Will PVC bond to CPVC?

Get a male pvc coupling and a female copper thread by cpvc adapter and screw em together to transition.
  7. Inspektor Ludwig

Tile in Bathroom leaking from Underneath!

Some toilets have a shorter horn on them, which is the ceramic ring on the bottom of the toilet that initially contacts the wax ring forming the seal. Some toilets have longer ones and some have shorter ones. Combine a short horn with a standard wax ring and a toilet flange that is slightly...
  8. Inspektor Ludwig

Urine Leaking from UNDERNEATH Toilet into Ceiling Below - NOTHING above leaking!

Hmmm, well one of two things, either you have a crack or that little boy is peeing all over the place. Probably peeing around the toilet seat bolts and it's running down the bolts and dripping onto the flange bolts holes. You basically have to troubleshoot the problem starting with the most...
  9. Inspektor Ludwig

4" DWV done in ABS in underground garage in a highrise

This is a good topic. A few years ago the UPC started allowing plastic pipes in any building. What started happening is plumbing contractors started designing high rises with a typical cast iron stack and branches but would use ABS for the vent stack and trap arms/dirty arms. Problem is...
  10. Inspektor Ludwig

Why would NIBCO/CPI Durapex PEX split (lengthwise) and leak?

One thing to keep in mind is that one of the selling points of PEX was it's ability to withstand freezing without bursting. This was a big selling point but has proven to be untrue. The manufacturers clearly state that the piping should not be installed in places where freezing can occur or...
  11. Inspektor Ludwig

PVC to copper coupler wont seal

Just like cacher said, soft copper, no matter how careful you are with it, will never be perfectly round. Even if it's just ever so slighty "egged" you won't get a proper seal on that sharkbite. Soldering would fill the gap or if you don't have the soldering tools you could use a brass...
  12. Inspektor Ludwig

PVC to ABS

I've heard of marvel rings but the only ones I've ever seen are brass soldered onto copper. I have to say I've never seen an ABS marvel, same thing I guess? My question would be why wouldn't you just use the same kind of plastic as the drain? It can't be that hard to find an ABS trap adapter.
  13. Inspektor Ludwig

I messed up - how to fix it?

I don't know what code you're under but it looks like you've got a really long trap arm. UPC requires 1 1/2" trap arms to be no longer than 3' 6" developed length. How picky is your inspector? I'd just cut off that trap and use a sweep to get over there. Never underestimate the power of dry...
  14. Inspektor Ludwig

Strange showerhead behavior...

Oh you had to go and bring Delta into it! LOL, if I had a nickel for every delta ball I've had to fix................uffda! Reminds me of my friend at work. He's always talking about his new truck, big blue diesel Chevy. It's nice looking but every so often he comes in with a complaint "My...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks