Recent content by Iminaquagmire

1. Iminaquagmire

Breaker Box Cover

First of all, we don't pull meters. That's a dying practice and isn't even taught anymore. Around here we don't have outside disconnects. I'm not going to go searching for a panel in a large fire and its certainly not going to be a find the panel first then fight the fire kind of thing. I...
  2. Iminaquagmire

Professional opinions on this plumbing job, please.

It looks to me like somebody's first pex job. The advantage to pex is that you can run continuous supplies that snake around obstacles without having to use lots of fittings. If they had done like you wanted and used a mini manifold, it would make more sense to use the pex. As it is, its only...
  3. Iminaquagmire

How do I install an old work box?

Some light fixtures serve as the junction box themselves and don't need a box in the wall. You can either replace the light with one that works the same, put in a pancake box if it needs to be attached to the stud, or put in an old work box. The old work box can either be a plastic one or a...
  4. Iminaquagmire

Softener, humidifier, and AC drains - into trap or arm?

I ended up getting an atrium grate. The hoses will be secured well above the pipe.
  5. Iminaquagmire

Good. That was essentially my plan but using a floor drain grate to secure the drains to. Thanks.
  6. Iminaquagmire

I didn't think about the chance of a backup. I can add a new trap off of the kitchen sink drain in the closet opposite the sink where there all of the appliances are located to keep the trap out of the crawlspace. I was thinking I could do this and put a floor drain fitting into the standpipe...
  7. Iminaquagmire

I'm replacing a corroded copper drain line in my crawlspace that services the kitchen sink up above. Currently, the AC, humidifier, and water softener all connect together and drain into a hole somebody drilled into the kitchen sink drain in the crawlspace. The drain hose is just siliconed...
  8. Iminaquagmire

Smoke alarms: what brand should I buy?

I couldn't tell you what brand is better as I've never seen a Gentex, but Kidde is pretty well known. As for types, you want both or combination units as they both operate differently, detecting different fires at different rates. Photoelectric are generally considered better for preventing...
  9. Iminaquagmire

Grounding question

If I can use NM, I'm not going to the trouble of installing EMT. The only way that would make sense is if the run to the switch box was exposed and then went to the fan in the wall. Use your conduit as the ground for everything that has a metal box. For your fan, ground the switch to the box...
  10. Iminaquagmire

Will this circuit work?

There is no reason not to, you just don't need to. If you already bought one, its fine to use. The only thing different really is that the prong openings can accommodate a 20 amp plug. But I've never seen any device you would use in a bathroom that uses that kind of prong orientation.
  11. Iminaquagmire

Will this circuit work?

Your layout and where the wire comes into the room would determine the best way to run the wires. Code states bathroom receptacles require a 20amp GFCI circuit. You can feed the lights with this same circuit, but if you do this, the circuit cannot feed anything out of the bathroom. I'm...
  12. Iminaquagmire

smoke alarms going nuts!!!

I would replace every five years. If they are older than that, they probably don't work as well as they should. Its really not something you want to chance. As for the heating system, unless the furnace burned up the motor which you would definitely know about (very distinctive smell and lots...
  13. Iminaquagmire

Dual Vanity

The layout looks good. The issues I see are first of all the fernco's attaching it to the galvanized. Above ground most places and everywhere here, they must be shielded couplings. Second the traps you have pictured. If those are all glued together, what happens when you place a vanity there...
  14. Iminaquagmire

220V 3-wire ground install

Chicago is EMTland, not Chicagoland. My house is about an hour north of Chicago and 30 minute south of Wisconsin. Here and a lot of other cities are all NM besides multi-family and commercial. Some require AC, but its better than running conduit everywhere. They still don't like plastic...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks