Recent content by Homey6660

1. Homey6660

HVAC Design -- returns necessary on each floor?

solution? I think what I will do is keep the returns the same size. Instead, I will manipulate the vents (e.g. -- close at least some of the vents on the colder, lower level), while using a filter or some other material to limit the intake on the lower return...which would allow the upstairs...
  2. Homey6660

return I just had the AC installed and I went with two returns--one on each level of my 1600 sq ft house. RIght now, the ducts are still exposed b/c the contractor is working with me to fine tune the install based on how it's been operating. The first floor gets cool very quickly and easily...
  3. Homey6660

I have a two-storey, 87 year-old rowhouse that I'm having central heat/air installed in. The house is 1500 sq ft. The HVAC contractor I'm thinking of going with has worked with my on a potential design for the system that would have the return venting on the first floor only (the system itself...
  4. Homey6660

central heat/air install--product selection

I have an older house (1921 -- approx 1600 sq. ft. of living space) in which I'm having central heat/air installed. I have a good quote from a contractor who had installed a system in my neighbor's house w/o incident. He initially offers to install Goodman condensers/furnaces, etc. I am leaning...
  5. Homey6660

Boiler leak

Problem solved...the valve going to the expansion tank was faulty. Thank you all for your patience and help.
  6. Homey6660

Boiler leak

That's the thing, though. It has NOT filled up with water. Even though I might not hear a "sloshing" sound, there is no additional weight to the tank. So, there's no pressure...AND it's not getting water. We'll pump it up today and see if it holds air. So, re: the water supply...I know you...
  7. Homey6660

Boiler leak

Just read your latest posts today, so I haven't tried what some of you have suggested. What I did do, though, was check the pressure in the expansion tank. There is none. However, there's no water either. That's one issue. Related or not, the other issue is the pressure reducing valve (I have...
  8. Homey6660

Boiler leak

Jim, when you say air separator, are you talking about the bladder in the expansion tank? I don't hear any water sloshing around...wondering if that's the issue.
  9. Homey6660

Boiler leak

Today I relieved pressure that was still at 26psi or so by letting some of the water out via the pressure relief valve. I got it down to 13 or so. I shut off the water supply that sits just ahead of the "reducing valve" (which you say is another term for auto fill valve). The reducing valve, by...
  10. Homey6660

Boiler leak

Here are some more details, though. I hope it can help prompt suggestions for next steps. Two nights ago, I had turned off the water supply and the thermostat and had drained any residual water in the boiler (not in the whole system, though) by opening the pressure relief valve. Last...
  11. Homey6660

Boiler leak

I have a slow leak coming out by the pressure release valve on my boiler. I'm trying to isolate whether it's the valve or the expansion tank (Amtrol -- or Extrol -- model #30). Could be other issues, I suppose (I'm obviously clueless), but I'm focusing on those two for now. The leak happens...
  12. Homey6660

leaking heat system

I have a slow, steady leak coming from my heating system. Wondering if someone can identify what the particular pipe is and maybe suggest some solutions...(less than calling a plumber, though I will if necessary). THe pipe comes out of the unit and has a release valve. It branches off just prior...
  13. Homey6660

Garbage disposal causing minor backup in double sink

follow up I've had a couple of conversations off the public board that were helpful and I figured I'd take them here now. I've copied them below. Wonder your thoughts on Clayton's suggestions and whether or not there are other alternatives, too. Also, the center tee is baffled. Thanks to all...
  14. Homey6660

Garbage disposal causing minor backup in double sink

I installed a garbage disposal and new pvc pipes under the double-sink in my kitchen. I've had sporadic and very minor bouts with water coming up through the adjoining basin when I run the garbage disposal (the water barely gets from the drain into the actual basin). Any ideas why this is...
  15. Homey6660

Install garbage disposal in double sink

done a lot easier than expected. Thanks to those who responded. Much appreciated!!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks