Recent content by Homeownerinburb

1. Homeownerinburb

Cable in concrete pour

Hi, I am looking at a low voltage wiring problem. I have been asked to install low voltage stair lights on a soon to be poured concrete stairway. There are sides rising up above the stairs, to be made of concrete. The client wants the lights in the side, lighting the steps. Can I...
  2. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

Yes. But at $13 plus 10% tax plus the cost of the labor to install the dratted things I doubt very much that the homeowner would go for it. Next time I am over there I'll certainly check to assure that they are present in the kitchen, I know that they are present in the other bathroom.
  3. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

Really? Fishing one more conductor into a conduit that has already got wire in it?
  4. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

Yeah, and all it proved is that the path to ground is compromised by age.
  5. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

I agree now, it is likely not the breaker's fault. Very unlikely, in fact. Any solution beyond a full rewire?
  6. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

What solution is there short of a full rewire including a ground?
  7. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

Yeah, the path back to the panel is likely compromised. Nothing to do about it assuming the owner does not want to rewire with a ground wire.
  8. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

I doubt that I'll get another chance. There was a mighty moaning sound in the cable as I held the hot to the box...
  9. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

It was indeed a single breaker, but it being a 120v circuit, that is what I would expect.
  10. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

I probably won't get another chance.
  11. Homeownerinburb

Breaker refused to trip

Was installing a receptacle today in a bathroom, using the power to an abandoned wall heater. Went to panel to look for a breaker marked "wall heater" but found none. Tried to trip breaker by holding hot to metal box (metal conduit) and only got a heavy buzz in the wire as I insisted...
  12. Homeownerinburb

Dual oven with 6 wires

OK, here is what confuses me: those yellow and blue wires look to be #10, let's say they are. So with the color and the size and the fact that they are in the conduit, one must assume that they are mains, needing two hots at opposite potential. But there are classic red and black wires as...
  13. Homeownerinburb

MC in EMT

Cut a hole in the frp and the drywall to allow the emt to angle in toward a pop out in the panel. Then the mc to a rated fitting. Bob's your uncle.
  14. Homeownerinburb

MC in EMT

The stud space is already filled with half a dozen runs of MC, no way would I get a clean fish. I'd have to cut the wall from the ceiling to the panel, and the general contractor is not wild about that approach.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks