Recent content by hmmdinger

1. hmmdinger

Pressure testing copper supply lines?

In my system, I have two dielectric unions at the end of all my new copper piping, one for the hot pipe, one for cold, where the new pipe transitions to old galvanized. I thought that would be a good place to do the pressure test. For just over $8 I put together a little conversion kit to...
  2. hmmdinger

Pressure testing copper supply lines?

I recently installed a lot of copper piping and "tested" everything by just turning the water on. I had two leaks, one of which was due to a bad sweating job. With the pipes now wet, I had to cut out the bad joint, and actually quite a few joints around it to redo the section. I have heard...
  3. hmmdinger

ABS to Cast Iron Hub

I completely empathize with your troubles, DVDiva. That's the EXACT situation I was in a couple of weeks ago. Rubber adapter would fit on the pipe fine, and would fit into the hub fine, but try and get all three to work together...FORGET IT. Trimming down the ridges of the adapter was the...
  4. hmmdinger

Local Codes Info...

When I recently tried to find local or even state plumbing code, I was surprised and disappointed to find no online provider of the information. I would think the primary reason code exists is for safety and general efficiency. Seems like a good thing to share with people, right? There's...
  5. hmmdinger

How's this for a DWV setup?

Thanks for the diagram. I am only plumbing one floor, but I see how everything is working. My main problem is still that my plumbing wall sits right on three joists. I did have to build an alcove to fit the tub, though, so I was thinking my main stack could run inside that, with a sink vent...
  6. hmmdinger

PVC Fitting - Using Elbow w/inlet w/toilet drain

Well, illegal in Mass. is enough to convince me to shy away. Looking at it some more, I suppose it wouldn't be hard for waste coming down the larger elbow to end up getting into the inlet. That wouldn't be good.
  7. hmmdinger

PVC Fitting - Using Elbow w/inlet w/toilet drain

Hello, I'm still planning out my DWV system, and came across two similar fittings that look very convenient for what I want to do. They are both elbows with side inlets. Is it acceptable to use this sort of fitting as a toilet drain, but have a sink drain into that inlet? I could just use...
  8. hmmdinger

My problem with venting the toilet immediately is that my fixtures are against a wall running right on top of a tripled-up 2x8 joist...can't go through it. I was actually going to bring my vent up through the vanity cabinet's base and angle out it's back into the wall to go up through the roof...
  9. hmmdinger

First off, I REALLY appreciate the advice so far. It's incredibly reassuring to have this resource available. I have edited my diagram, based on what I THINK everybody was talking about. Kind of seemed like different options were presented, though, so I might be off. Another additional...
  10. hmmdinger

Hello all, great site here. I am replacing the plumbing for a bathroom on the main level of my house. Before I actually begin the DWV piping, I was hoping to find out if it is as simple as I have shown here. The vent behind the sink is intended to be 3". The sink and tub have 2" draining...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks