Recent content by Higgledy

1. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

Bummer. I wanted to keep it maintenance free. What about a quality vent? Do they exist?
  2. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

Maybe I should hire out the entire job. Especially if I can find a good contractor. Around where I live you hire a company and they send out a guy without any experience
  3. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

Wow. I didn’t know. Thank you. So what type of contractor can I hire to upgrade the vent and do a good job with the aluminum siding? Also, all the vents I’ve seen at the big box stores are just garbage. Can you guys recommend a quality 6” vent for me?
  4. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

Because if it were 6” vent then I can buy a fan with a high CFM rating. I’m assuming the garage door has enough leakage to provide a good air draw. Idk
  5. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

Thanks. That’s what I was assuming about reducing the duct size. The existing 4” vent is original and the house is aluminum sided. Is it easy to replace it with a 6” vent and get it to be water tight without messing up the aluminum siding?
  6. Higgledy

Exhaust fan question

I'd like to turn my single-car garage into a cigar lounge. I need advice on an exhaust fan. This is in a townhouse end-unit with a tiny single-car garage. It is about 10'x20'. The garage is next to a storage area where there is an existing 4" exhaust vent. I'd like to install an in-line fan from...
  7. Higgledy

Wall cap damper missing

These are pics of the vent from the outside. I’m not sure how to replace this vent without messing up the siding. Exterior vent Vent underneath
  8. Higgledy

Wall cap damper missing

ok well I think I forced the issue now. I tried to replace the exhaust fan and accidentally pulled the vent pipe off the vent cap to the exterior wall. Pictures from the exhaust vent inside I hope this link works. the siding is 30 year old aluminum that I’m afraid to mess up if I have to...
  9. Higgledy

NG connection on deck

I’m planning to have a NG quick connect installed on my deck for my grill. I’ve hired a licensed gas line fitter (the guy recommended by the place I bought the grill). I spoke to him over the phone. His price seems reasonable, but it depends on distance from the gas meter. We never discussed how...
  10. Higgledy

Wall cap damper missing

I have exhaust vent troubles in all my bathrooms. In the powder room bath on the first floor the previous owner had squirrels getting in thru the wall cap. His solution was to replace the damper with a screen. Really dumb solution because now the bathroom is hot or cold depending on the season...
  11. Higgledy

Bathroom fan exhaust

The building was built in 1993. The builder is long out of business. I just spoke to my neighbor, his baths are vented the same way. Fortunately for him he has no loft and can go straight up from the bathroom into the attic and out the roof. In fact, he had a new roof put installed and the...
  12. Higgledy

Bathroom fan exhaust

I own a TH with two baths upstairs. I’ve discovered both exhaust fans are only ducted to the joists, not to the outside. How my TH is setup above the baths is a finished loft. To the left is a staircase, to the right is the next TH. In the loft are two dormers, each with a small attic. I am...
  13. Higgledy

Replacing hose bib or outdoor faucet

I need to replace the outdoor faucet, it leaks. It is mounted against aluminum siding. I'd like to find something better to mount the new faucet to, but I am not willing to cut my siding. Are there any products that will provide a flat(er) surface for the faucet and accommodate the slope of the...
  14. Higgledy

Toilet leaks at the base

Thanks. I will try the first two ideas and get back to you. I might also wrap the tubing with paper towels to totally rule out an fill-side leak.
  15. Higgledy

Toilet leaks at the base

I have PVC drain pipes and copper supply lines. I do mean stop valve. Using my hand I felt from the stop valve on the wall, following the tubing all the way to where the tube connects to the toilet's fill valve. Nothing is wet. The brown puddle is always directly under the fill valve area, and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks