Recent content by Herk

1. Herk

Norton Antivirus shuts off if not renewed

I recently closed my computer business because it was interfering with my plumbing business. (For introductory purposes.) The first thing I would like to say about Norton Antivirus is that I think that Peter Norton and his company deserve some respect. That said, I haven't used their products...
  2. Herk

Alpha antivirus

This is a common type of infection, though the faux "anti-spyware" name changes. It may or may not be something you can get rid of yourself. The aforementioned bleepingcomputer.com is one of the best forums on the internet for curing these problems. I'm an advisor there, though I'm not in the...
  3. Herk

Is this disposal plumbed right?

I don't like center outlet wastes because they are too wobbly. I prefer the end outlet. That said, I don't see anything technically wrong with the setup. And if it doesn't wobble and come loose, bonus!
  4. Herk

Hot Hot Hot Water!

If the water is overheating, the water heater is a bomb. If it is over 15 years old, the relief valve is also probably 15 years old and there is no reason to expect it to work. I don't care if you have to take out a second mortgage on your house, if your mother's water heater is not shutting...
  5. Herk

parts for pedistol sink

Some old pedestals, such as Crane, have internal parts that you are not likely to find and in that case the entire sink needs to go. Modern pedestals are usually all the same.
  6. Herk

Polybutylene piping info

I plumbed my own house in PB ~1992. I have never had a single problem with either pipe or fittings. We do not have chlorinated water here. I expect a great many years of service. I also have never had any call backs to any house I plumbed with PB pipe. I have seen it badly installed and have...
  7. Herk

Water ON causing a Throbbing Noise

You either have a worn valve or a worn toilet fill valve, in all likelihood. Check the toilets by turning off each one at the valve under the toilet, then see if the noise has stopped. Otherwise, it may be a loose gate in a gate valve or a loose washer in a globe valve. Those are the most...
  8. Herk

Water Overflow Pipe Dripping

It would help if you actually posted pictures instead of .zip files.
  9. Herk

copper caper

The saddle bracket is probably copper coated steel. Remove it, clean up the pipe, and replace it with a non-metallic strap.
  10. Herk

Normal pressure drop?

Yes, I can. I used to install sprinkler systems and for any practical purposes 14 gallons per minute is maximum because if you try to get more your pressure drops. Hook a hose and a sprinkler to your front and back hydrants on the house and just see the trickle you get out of the faucet with...
  11. Herk

Plumbing Leak?

The soldering looks a bit amateurish. And that twisted copper tube is a likely place for a leak. You can see that the water's been running down the pipe. I would never cover that back in without repairing it, and that might entail replacing the tub valve as well.
  12. Herk

Do I see a flange or top of a drain pipe

Eeww . . . good luck with a PVC extension. If you can get to the pipe below the floor, it should be cut and a new flange installed with a ring beneath it to bring it up to the proper height.
  13. Herk

Normal pressure drop?

The most you can get out of a 3/4" meter is 14 gpm. Of course, that's fine if your house is within fifty feet, but when you're talking ~400' you've got a whole new problem. 1-1/2" PVC should be pretty good. It's sufficient for about twice the fixtures in a 1-bath home according to UPC if the...
  14. Herk

Dishwasher Drainage Pipe To Flexible Hose

My code won't allow two traps on a trap arm. One fixture - one trap. High loop is allowed here.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks