Recent content by Heating in Colorado

1. Heating in Colorado

May need to replace boiler – What with?

Dana, I have been looking at the Panel Radiators previously mentioned. So far, I have only looked at Pexsupply, which carries Buderus. Looking at the specks of them, they state the BTUH different temperature on the Buderus web site. As you know, I expect I will be running this system at 140 or...
  2. Heating in Colorado

Dana Is that an advantage of the Polaris having a modulating burner in my system? Both are Stainless, but a different kind of stainless,is one better with the temperature and water contact? I like the expected longer life. I am still leaning toward the Polaris, but can consider the Phoenix...
  3. Heating in Colorado

I did not realize yet that the Polaris was a modulating unit. That makes it even better. However that is the fact that the house only cost $160 per year to heat and $192 for all the rest of the gas for the year. However, so far, I do not see a lower price reasonable system that is better than...
  4. Heating in Colorado

Dana, How do I Ping BadgeBoilerMN? Do you know anything about the Phoenix Water heater?
  5. Heating in Colorado

Dana I here you on the Legionnaires stuff! I believed that this pictured system was not considering that, and the main reason I sent it to you. Although, they are circulationg all DHW through the heat zone, it would not work with zone valves. So my next question is about heat exchangers. How...
  6. Heating in Colorado

Dana, In understanding how the house currently heats, I know that the Zone 3 (2nd floor) is seldom on, but we are coming up with a need for additional radiation in that area I have gone back to look at my heat loss numbers for each area. I have seen that I did not add in heat loss / gain from...
  7. Heating in Colorado

Dana, Some initial thoughts on your comments; I believe that the low heat loss is due to the fact that it is partially an envelope with a second wall on the south side. The entire outer wall is glass 5 ft in height the length of the wall, or about 150 sq ft of glass. That room often exceeds...
  8. Heating in Colorado

Dana I have calculated the shop heat loss using this method. I used the common wall with the house as a heat gain the same as the loss from the house. I did not calculate any loss for the concrete floor which is on grade. Should that be added in as R of concrete with the delta to the earth...
  9. Heating in Colorado

Dana Well, I am certainly glad to see that someone has figured that out since I began building. I have a couple questions on my heat loss calculations. In the basement area, I have not added in any loss to the floor above at this point. I understand that that does affect the heat loss for...
  10. Heating in Colorado

When I built my first house in 1971, in 44720 Ohio, my mentor told me I was stuffing money down a rat hole by making the ceiling R19 instead of R13. He told me I would never recover the cost in the sale. He only built custom homes. We built side by side equal houses and he told me I would not...
  11. Heating in Colorado

Here are my calculations for the second floor bedroom/ bathroom areas. I have included the closets and bath in each area, as well as the 10' hall. The 2nd area is two adjacent bedrooms and bath. This area is seldom heated with the baseboard except when below 10 outside, and that means zone below...
  12. Heating in Colorado

Dana I understand the fact that the wall is not really 10% stud when just simply plates, headers, jack studs, and electrical boxes are added into the wall. Something that may make these walls a little different than normal is the fact that everything is covered on the outside with Foil-faced...
  13. Heating in Colorado

I have calculated the total wall R values for all of the combinations in the house. I used the charts from www Colorado energy.org which was much easier to use from this site: http://www.allwallsystem.com/design/RValueTable.html I assumed that since near 10% of the wall is stud in a 16” o.c...
  14. Heating in Colorado

Dana Thank you on the glazing numbers and information. These are clear glass, no E coating, it sounds like I will be able to use U-0.38 for most of the windows, which are all the same construction as well as the same size. However I do have a few fixed windows which at the standard 80’s triple...
  15. Heating in Colorado

Dana, Thank you very much for that information. I will put those numbers together. I know the wall and upper ceiling R factor information. I am not sure on the glass, it is thermopane dubble hung windows 3" trapped air plus storm. Can I use .2 safely for the U factor of the windows? I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks