Recent content by Garrett

1. Garrett

Inspector says: The toilet-vent must be upstream of the toilet.

exactly, you need to roll the wye up at a 45 degree angle so the vent will be above center grade.
  2. Garrett

Vacuum relief valve placement on bottom feed water heater

I guess I did get a little Grumpy, sorry. I carried some of my aggravation into the forums. sorry basement_lurker.
  3. Garrett

Cast Iron Pipe?

looks like a lead stub but I cant see if thats cast its connected too.
  4. Garrett

Black pipe: unions & drip legs

drip tees are basically sediment traps to keep debree from clogging/damaging the regulator. some water heater manufacturers require this to maintain warranty. I did break a drip tee open one time in an apartment complex because the water heater was not getting gas, when I broke it open a large...
  5. Garrett

yeah, I don't think the N-36 is rated for hot water anyway. Maximum Working Pressure: 200psi (14 bar), Maximum Steam Pressure: 15psi (103.4 kPa).
  6. Garrett

Sewage Pump/Basin question

is that a full port ball valve you are using?
  7. Garrett

Sewage Pump/Basin question

Not only does it make a world of difference it is mandatory, otherwise the pump will airlock. Its a 5/16 hole for waste water.
  8. Garrett

thanks for the pointers. Now do you have an open system or a closed system? if you have an open system by adding a check valve to your water heater you will close that portion of the system so naturally you will need to address thermal expansion. But it sounds more to me like your mind has...
  9. Garrett

Black pipe: unions & drip legs

the mating faces of the union do all of the sealing, some plumbers dope the male threads just to lubricate them. Its usually not necessary to dope the mating faces but I have known plumbers including myself to use Blue Block on the mating faces from time to time just for piece of mind but...
  10. Garrett

so you are not going to address thermal expansion in any way? you are relying on the thermal expansion to push against the cold inlet to relieve itself? I recommend an expansion tank, or watts 530-c or a governor 80. do you currently have a closed water distribution system?
  11. Garrett

not sure what you mean about the check valve interfering with the T&P valve. The only backflow that would occur would be the evacuation of the hot water distribution system. The N-36 allows the introduction of air to break the vacuum. the tank would not siphon dry. once the hot side drained...
  12. Garrett

New sink drain

except for your re-vent below flood rim level. also, why did you individually vent the water closet. seriously over vented but perhaps thats code in your area.
  13. Garrett

sounds like you need to install the cold inlet line higher than the top of the heater. come out of the tank and run it up to a higher point than the top of the heater and then install your watts N-36 or equivalent vacuum relief valve on the proper tee fitting. If I am understanding your...
  14. Garrett

Cast iron tub install

either there is a flaw in manufacturing or there are some type of extensions that fit on the stubs to elevate it. I assume this is a claw foot tub? and is/was designed to sit on legs. or is it an imitation that uses a ledger.
  15. Garrett

your thoughts... preferred lists

I have always been suspicious of these types of preferred lists. And like other members here I hate the yellow pages, what a bunch of sales weasels they are. I'm guessing that Angie's list is simply an avenue that allows the slander of the contractor to make the customer feel better for not...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks