Recent content by froddan

1. froddan

Hot water flow stops abruptly

Solved or improved... Ok, I'm not sure if this easy fix actually solved the problem or not, but I turned the hot water shut-off valve to its maximum opening, and the water flowed well after that. I only tested for a few minutes, but at least it improved it quite a bit. I'm crossing my...
  2. froddan

I don't think so...not that I'm aware of. I haven't done any work on the plumbing in either of those two rooms. The dishwasher, which is in between the bathroom sink and the toilet sink may also cause some of the problems...
  3. froddan

The kitchen faucet is a one-handle arm that turns up-down-left-right. The bathroom which also has the problems sometimes has a faucet with two knobs that turn. Thanks!
  4. froddan

Adding another sink to dual sink drain

Thank you! Yes, the dual sink is already plumbed and being used, just as in the picture. So it seems like both of you suggest that I add the new sink from the other bathroom just below the existing fixture arm on the drain. That was exactly what I was hoping for, should be an easy solution as...
  5. froddan

I have a strange situation going on with my hot water in the kitchen and a next-door 1/4 bath. After running the water for a little while (sometimes less than 30 seconds) the hot water stops flowing. If I run only cold water, there is never a problem. If I put the water to a mix of hot-cold, or...
  6. froddan

Adding another sink to dual sink drain

I have a double sink in a bathroom set up as in the picture below. Another bathroom is behind the visible wall, and a new sink will go up against this wall (so the dual sinks will be back-to-back) with the new single sink. The drain and vent-pipe is 2" and goes to a stack of 4". Can I add...
  7. froddan

Compression Fitting Valve - With or Without Putty

Thanks all! I wish I knew about the "oil trick".... I loosened the nuts a little bit, and tightended a bit more, and so far it seemed to work. Yeah, not sure if plumbing is a science or art....science there is a definite solution, while art implies various interpretation. Either way...I...
  8. froddan

Compression Fitting Valve - With or Without Putty

I installed 4 shut-off valves under two sinks yesterday using compression fitting valves. Both sides (they are two by two under each sink) seem to have leaked one or two drops of water over night. I followed the instructions carefully, cut the 1/2" copper pipe using a pipe cutter, sanded the...
  9. froddan

Ratteling Copper Pipes

Hot water spindle... Thanks for both of your suggestions. My task is now to figure out if there is a loose spindle...not exactly sure where to start, but removing the faucets in kitchen and bathroom sounds good. I might be wrong about ratteling vs. hammering...as it is pretty loud...
  10. froddan

Ratteling Copper Pipes

Hi! I have experienced some loud ratteling in my hot water pipes lately. I've tried to find to solution, but nothing really seems to match my case. It seems to only be the hot-water pipes, which is 1/2" copper, and it only rattles when I use either the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink...
  11. froddan

yet another island sink vent question

Terry, do you or anyone else know if an AAV is allowed in King County, WA? This is for a kitchen sink located in an island. Pros, and cons compared to your work displayed here?
  12. froddan

Horizontal Vent Piece Below Floor?

For a Tub-Drain, is it ok to have about 1 foot of the Vent run horizontal below the floor until it reaches the vertical vent? Can I use 90 degree turns for the 1 1/2" vent?
  13. froddan

Tub Drains Slowly

The entire tub strainer-overflow is brand new. There is nothing in it. Althogh I have to say that the overflow parts seem to be a bit limited in the flow of drainage. I found out that for a 1 1/2 inch pipe, the vent should be the same size and be located within 3.5 feet, so you are right, I am...
  14. froddan

Tub Drains Slowly

Thanks! The slope is quite visible, and although difficult to measure, I think it is about 1/2" per foot. Is there a maximum distance between the tub-drain and the vent pipe? The tub vent is located about a foot away from the P-trap (see attached picture).
  15. froddan

Tub Drains Slowly

One more question: Would the location of the P-trap affect drainage for a tub? For example, if the vertical drainpipe under the tub only extends 2 inches down before it reaches the P-trap, vs if the vertical pipe is longer before it reaches the P-trap?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks