Recent content by frankflynn

1. frankflynn

Solar panel glass removal help

If you panel is like mine (also an older solar hot water panel) I would say you problem is not that the glass is old and will spontaneously break but that the glass cover is very heavy and you might indeed break it if you loose control of it and is slides down the roof. Since I don't know...
  2. frankflynn

Side or bottom connect

I'm not a professional but I do have a similar system. I use the side connector for the return as the manufacture instructs (Rheem - Solaraid in my case). I find it odd that a manufacture would recommend installing their product in an inefficient way. I can product 100% of my hot water even...
  3. frankflynn

Solar single wall heat exchangers

So was this a closed loop? I'm thinking that if there was a leak in the heat exchanger the domestic hot water is under pressure and would fill then over fill the Glycerin / Glycol side then flood the basement or spew from the roof. At any rate it would be notices and the problem would not be...
  4. frankflynn

Moen Kirchen Faucet - going through cartridges; should I replace?

I have a Moen Kirchen Faucet - it is at least 30 years old. It comes out of the wall (not the counter top). It looks like: The problem is the handle gets really stiff and difficult to move ever 3 or 4 months. I can replace the cartridge or remove, disassemble and put valve grease on the...
  5. frankflynn

Cutting legs on cast iron radiators

A hack saw or electric reciprocating with the proper blade should be able to cut through them without trouble. But are you sure they are not hollow? That is if you cut the legs will you put a hole in the radiator (very bad)? What kind of plumbing goes to the radiator? Can you remove the...
  6. frankflynn

"Wet" changing electric water heater elements.

A lot of water spilling. I've done it, it does work just don't do both the top and bottom elements at the same time :p
  7. frankflynn

Solar Drainback Water Heating System

Indeed - I have just such a system. They were popular during the late 1970's early 80's. The only unique piece of this puzzle is the draindown valve which typically lives near the tank and pump. It opens and allows your domestic water to fill the the panels during the day and then at night it...
  8. frankflynn

Check valve doesn't work with Solar Drainback system.

If your heat exchanger / drain back tank is not lower than the bottom of the hot water heater then you could have some flow trying to equalize the temp. I have a somewhat similar system but it is the older direct, drain back (no heat exchanger, domestic hot water circulates in the panels during...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks