Recent content by Frank Dalessio

1. F

Copper Steam Pipe Leaks

First, my thanks to all. No one has said copper is not a valid solution for steam pipes, so that's a good thing. To seaofnames, there is no dielectric coupling that I can see. Also, the leaks are at the copper/iron joints as well as copper/copper. Lots of crud all over the joints. The more...
  2. F

Copper Steam Pipe Leaks

Thanks for the reply, Gary. You're right, ripping out all the old copper and starting over is the best solution to my current problem. But the longer term question remains: Is copper pipe smart for steam heat supply piping or, since I'm going to start over anyhow, should should I go with iron...
  3. F

Copper Steam Pipe Leaks

I had a local plumber upgrade my steam heat system about 10+ years ago and he used an iron pipe riser from the boiler (about 2.5') and then used copper supply pipes from the riser for about 3' in each direction to link to the existing iron steam pipes. Those copper pipes have various "weeping"...
  4. F

Wet Bar Pump

I want to install a small wet bar sink in my den which is across the house from all the plumbing. I can get cold water there with no problem, but a waste pipe could be difficult - a long run and lots of framing in the way. Since it's just a bar sink, can I put a small sump under the sink and...
  5. F

Green board in ceiling???

Two years ago I remodled my 7 x 10 bathroom in my circa 1933 house with Greenboard. As JD rightly pointed out, I installed it across the joists. All of my former wire lath/plaster ceiling joists were spaced somewhat less than 16"; average 14." I used Greenboard before I knew that the gypsum...
  6. F

Mudding in a tub

I've had good success using Structolite (?) which you can get at HD. Mix it somewhat stiff and lay down two lines about 5" wide under the "bowl" from the back of the tub where it meets the bottom to near the drain. The mud should be slightly higher (2" ?) than the gap from the bottom of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks