Recent content by FordBlueChevyRed

1. FordBlueChevyRed

Hot Water Line Noises

Jim, The noise is not just a one time hammer sound but a persistent, random length, random time, machine gun series, that lasts 2,3,4 seconds at times and does this maybe for a half hour at a time then it goes away. I did turn off the humidifier last night and there was no noise this morning...
  2. FordBlueChevyRed

Hot Water Line Noises

I have an odd noise problem in my hot water line. It happens when my Furnace is running. I can place my hand around the hot water line right as it exits the water heater and can feel the pipe vibrate and make sounds. This problem started during this seasons heating period about 3 months ago...
  3. FordBlueChevyRed

Melted plastic and now popping noises

Another couple steps taken. 1. Drained the water heater tank to see if it would help the popping noises. 2. This helped because the WH now wants to run for quite a long period of time. 3. Match / smoke test verified that the WH was venting properly and the exhaust flue was hot to the touch...
  4. FordBlueChevyRed

Terry, That certainly makes sense. So then I should be able to test the theory of not having enough make up air by just opening the mechanical room door when the furnace and water heater are running and possibly see the backdraft problem go away. I do understand about the hot gas/air creating...
  5. FordBlueChevyRed

Thanks JimD and jimbo for the meaningful information. The makeup air duct is indeed a direct connection to the outside. No blockage and the length is only about 4-5 feet. I will look into the sizes of the furnace BTUs and the Water Heater BTUs and use your suggestions to calculate the required...
  6. FordBlueChevyRed

Thank you Dana for pointing out the important and not so obvious particulars for not using the original metal vent pipe. I will look into a couple brands of water heaters based on some of the other posters recommendations. I appreciate your time and suggestions.
  7. FordBlueChevyRed

Hello from a old newbie. This morning my wife uttered the feared "did you hear that?" I listened and figured out that the water heater was the culprit. It is now about 15 years old and probably needs draining/flushing or possibly replacement. However my main concern and reason for this post...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks