Recent content by Emma3

1. Emma3

Soft close seat for Toto Pacifica

Ok, so it's just a style difference between those two? In other words, is the fit identical? Or is there a functional reason to prefer the SS114?
  2. Emma3

Soft close seat for Toto Pacifica

I bought a Toto Pacifica from Terry about 8 years ago and put some sort of generic seat on it at the time (not sure what I was thinking -- trying to save a buck, I guess). Now I'd like to upgrade to the soft-close seat. Will the SS204 (contemporary, elongated) fit? What about the SS114? What's...
  3. Emma3

Porcher Lutezia Performance

Thanks, BlueHouse. I did install the Porcher Lutezia (it's been about 2-3 years now), and am very pleased with it. No issues with performance, it looks beautiful (along with the matching pedestal sink), and the cost was reasonable. Of course I love the Toto Aquia in our master bath, but the...
  4. Emma3

shower drain material: ABS or cast iron?

manufacturer for ABS drain? Ok, makes sense. Can you recommend a brand for good quality ABS drains? The plumber made it sound like we had two options -- the indestructible cast iron, or flimsy ABS. Unless I can compare some different options in the same material, I won't be able to make sure...
  5. Emma3

shower drain material: ABS or cast iron?

Just had rough-in completed for new shower. The plumber is about to install the actual drain fitting onto the ABS drain pipe, and I need to choose between an ABS drain (with chrome plate stainless, I believe), and cast iron. The cast iron is maybe $200 more. This will be a custom-tiled shower...
  6. Emma3

mortar under tub

more mortar bed questions I'm about to set a tub w/mortar bed and have some follow-on questions to this thread. Here's the background: -Acrylic drop-in tub, 3-wall alcove installation -Bottom of tub is 1/2" off floor at drain end and about 3 1/2" off floor at opposite end (all edges level...
  7. Emma3

Looking for tub w/ tile flange but no apron..

Hydro Systems I have exactly what you are describing -- we're installing it this week. It's made by Hydro Systems (www.hydrosystem.com). They do a lot of whirlpool tubs, but you can order any model without this option, and also specify the integral tile flange. Ours is 60X30 (Lacey), but even...
  8. Emma3

Problem Installing Toto Aquia on Closet Flange on Floor

This is all starting to sound very familiar... Yep - I recall having to redrill the holes, and no, I didn't have a diamond bit (*&%@#!). If drilling the holes is the only tricky part, I'll definitely go for it myself. But this is required for all Toto toilets, no? If so, then what makes the...
  9. Emma3

I considered installing it ourselves (we installed the Pacifica, which required drilling into the concrete slab, and an unexpected and rather unattractive fix for the supply location), but frankly I was intimidated by the posts complaining of wrong drilling specs in the instructions, and of...
  10. Emma3

Thanks, Jim. I think we'll close the gap a bit when it comes time to finish the wall. Anything > 2" seems really excessive. Drilling through the tile would happen at the same time as final install? After reading about the special sanding required for tank connection, I'm thinking of hiring...
  11. Emma3

Too much room for Aquia? I've got the opposite problem -- just had new rough-in for Aquia, plumber put it 14" O.C. from the stud. Will this put the tank far enough from the wall to cause any problem (or just look bad)? If so, I'd consider furring out the wall slightly before the sheetrock, but...
  12. Emma3

Height for multiple shower controls

Ok, I just tried the "blind reach" method and came up with 48". Perhaps that feels natural because it's what I've come to expect from just about every shower I've used. Just another reason to stick with the standard, I guess. So again, I assume I should put the most used control...
  13. Emma3

Height for multiple shower controls

Hi - I'm having a custom steam shower installed and need to specify the rough-in heights for the valves. There's a thermostatic mixer plus a combined diverter/volume control that is supposed to be installed above it. Based on a previous post, height and position of these controls is purely...
  14. Emma3

subfloor advice

Thanks a million! Seems to all make sense now. The planks are definitely coming out, especially since we just ripped a few more out while the plumber was here taking a look-see :)
  15. Emma3

subfloor advice

By "extra" reinforcement, I meant in addition to 3/4 ply + backer ;-) So here's my dilemma: If I leave the existing 3/4" planks in place, I only have 3/4" of height remaining to accomodate additional ply, ditra or cement board, heating mats, and tile. In that case, wouldn't I be better off...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks