Recent content by Electromen

1. Electromen

advice on wire gauge for built in oven

I called my supplier, the owner has never heard of a GFCI receptacle specifically for appliances. I check the Leviton web site. I don't see one there either. Does anyone have a link?
  2. Electromen

I've never heard of ones that are for appliances. There is GFCI protection for large service entrances, like 800 amp and above which are different. For personal protection I only know of one type available in the receptacle and circuit breaker. If there are ones dedicated to appliances I'd...
  3. Electromen

I thought this discussion was about Ovens. Instead it's turned into an attack of one's experience. JW you are a hard headed individual and a self proclaimed know-it all. I feel sorry for you. I joined this forum to help some DIY'ers, not to defend myself. Have fun, I will not return.
  4. Electromen

I taught high school for seven years after college. I quit because the income was too low. Teachers in my school district max out at $85,000 per year. I may teach part time in retirement just to keep busy but at this point I don't want to lower my income.
  5. Electromen

I wire more homes in Westmoreland County than any other electrical contractor. The homes I wire start at $320,000 and go up. I've averaged 60 new homes per year since 1980. I also wire high end kitchens for the largest kitchen cabinet company in the County. I have two teaching degrees in the...
  6. Electromen

I never connect a refrigerator to a GFCI. It's on it's own dedicated circuit.
  7. Electromen

So how many thousands of homes have you wired?
  8. Electromen

LOL that's pretty funny. Dog Gone auto-fil and my use of the Trade Marked ® word for nm-b
  9. Electromen

I wouldn't want it on a GFCI because if it did trip, gas could fill the room. You have to assume that your clients are going to make mistakes.
  10. Electromen

electrical solution or an exorcism?

Yes definitely. The latest system I installed was Leviton Vizia RF. The technology was come a long way.
  11. Electromen

It's just experience. I've never connected a cooktop to a GFCI circuit. I was called in on a new house to trouble shoot someone else's work. That person had the cooktop connected to a GFCI circuit. The ignitor would trip it every time. I installed a new circuit that was not GFCI protected...
  12. Electromen

electrical solution or an exorcism?

Yes, X10 was first sold by Radio Shackin 1978. The house was built in 1979. Since it's concrete, conduit and wire, the outside box was probably original to the house. If it was X-10 originally it was one of the first ones sold, but why put it outside? That's why I guessed photocell.
  13. Electromen

Do not connect the gas cooktop to a GFCI protected circuit. The ignitor on the cooktop usually trips the GFCI. Connect it to 15 or 20 amp circuit.
  14. Electromen

Run 10/3 with ground "kleenex®". Most of the new ovens have four wires, 2 hot, neutral and ground. Plan on connecting it in a 4" square, 2 1/8" deep metal junction box with 1/2" knock outs. The 10/3 will bit in a 1/2" romex connector. The oven will come with flexible metal conduit. You'll need...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks