Recent content by Earnie

1. Earnie

American Water Heater?

Sorry, I should have added that the tank is electric.
  2. Earnie

American Water Heater?

Anyone like to comment on American Water Heater products? I have a forty gallon which is on its 17th year of operation. I'm preparing for a replacement and would like opinions on using another AWH or possibly a Rheem.
  3. Earnie

Electric Water Heater Heat Loop

I have a few questions on heat traps / heat loops. Are they worth the cost to install? Which is the better option, mechanical heat trap or passive loop? I have concerns that the mechanical heat trap will restict water flow. I can not find a 1" heat trap, only 3/4 inch. Would the loop...
  4. Earnie

Is there a proper way to route PEX through attic?

Gray schedule 40 pvc is used for electrical wiring not water. Just to make the point, here is something I know for a fact happened. A company was installing exterior pan and tilt video cameras at a hotel. It ran the 110v electrical wire for the P&T motors through white schedule 40 pvc...
  5. Earnie

Pex vs FlowGuard Gold

Thank you for the contact Kelly.
  6. Earnie

Is there a proper way to route PEX through attic?

I'm no expert on Pex or plumbing. Actually I'm getting questions answered in another post. One of my concerns with the Pex under the insulation would be someone stepping on the pipe and breaking it. I've been in attics before and it's easy to miss the rafters when stepping from rafter to...
  7. Earnie

Pex vs FlowGuard Gold

What I comprehend from the replies, Pex is the preferred material. Do most use the standard white Pex or is there any benefit to using blue for cold and red for hot. Other than ease of identification. One other question. I read a lot about Pex being more forgiving in a freeze...
  8. Earnie

Pex vs FlowGuard Gold

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm located in central North Carolina. Yes it does get cold enough to freeze here but the plumbing is in the crawl space and from there up the central walls of the house. No outside walls have any plumbing, plus the existing PolyB is covered with foam insulation...
  9. Earnie

Pex vs FlowGuard Gold

I am looking into replacing the gray polybutylene plumbing in my house. This will be a DIY job since 95% of the pipe is easily accessable through a crawl space and wall hatch-ways. My question is, which is the better product, Pex or FlowGuard Gold CPVC? Labor cost and time are not issues...
  10. Earnie

Replace Old Water Heater?

Good point Matt. Thanks, Earnie
  11. Earnie

Salt Taste in Water After Regen

Ok guys, you are starting to get way beyond my knowledge level in water softeners, but it's still interesting reading. I plan to ask the Co. to have the water tested for sodium levels. This should be the best way to determine if the softener is malfunctioning or incorrectly set-up, tanks...
  12. Earnie

Replace Old Water Heater?

Good point Cass. I'm also wondering how much electricity I'm wasting since the tank's R value is probably low and the heating elements are not what they were when new. I do have a jacket on the tank's exterior. Earnie
  13. Earnie

Thank you for everyones help on this issue. I will let you know if the issue is fixed. Earnie
  14. Earnie

hj, Thanks for your suggestion. Another one added to the list for the service tech. Cass, I totally agree. Earnie
  15. Earnie

nhmaster, I'll check the internet for troubleshooting help with the valve. I do have the AutoTrol 255 owner's installation, operation and maintenance manual. There is a troubleshooting guide in the back but nothing on the salt taste issue. Beirmech, Since this is my first softener...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks