Recent content by Drick

1. Drick

Unusual wiring for receptacle

Don't put this back together as is, it is dangerous. There is no neutral and the outlet is using the MC cable jacket as the neutral. Yes it worked, but that wasn't a good thing. If you look at the top screw hole on the junction box you will notice it is blackened. You will also notice the...
  2. Drick

Long distance well control dilemma

A 240 volt 2HP Orbit pump start relay is approx 1/10 amp at 24 volts AC 18 gauge wire should be good for at least 750 feet at 24 volts and 1/3 amp. Use a basic float switch and plan for eventual failure of that float switch. Where does the extra water go if the cistern overflows? Use a cycle...
  3. Drick

Sump pump wiring

This is an area where I feel the electrical code isn't entirely clear on what is best practice. What you have - an above ground GFCI connected to an underground pump by an extension cord - is probably about a close as you can get to a safe install. That being said if that sump pit is protecting...
  4. Drick

Adding indoor storage tank to low-yield well

You have no idea how much water the new well can produce or how long the recovery to 70 feet was, so I'd assume worse case and set the new pump 10 - 20 feet off the bottom. The pump needs to be powerful enough to hit the 60psi cutoff when the water level in the well falls where the pump is...
  5. Drick

Sump Pump - Air Tight Lid

I never got that far with my own pit because I discovered my radon level is actually well below the level where I would need to address it. The air tight covers have a knock out for a second pipe. I assumed that is it just an open pipe between the pit and the outside. My plan was to run the...
  6. Drick

Sump Pump - Air Tight Lid

How much action does your pump see? If it only runs once in a blue moon it may have lots of life left. If it runs nonstop during the rainy season it may be time to replace it. Consider buying a leak detector with a detachable sensor. You can dangle the sensor in the pit and it will give you a...
  7. Drick

Which are the mains cables in my fuse panel (have photo)?

>>1. Are the mains wires A & B or C & D? Hmm, you only have a 120 volt service. Your main is A and that is where one clamp goes. After completing the remaining installation steps I would try using the power meter with a single clamp. If you get no readings at all add a second clamp to B. You...
  8. Drick

Sump pump analysis paralysis

Some thoughts; 1. Your comment about the stuck float and your basement still not flooding makes me think you have a fair amount of gravel underneath concrete floor and not just a drain tile. If you have a pump failure that gravel can act as a water storage area and buy you some time. The next...
  9. Drick

Portable generator cable ground wire dilemma

Your house has what is called single split phase power. Its 240 volts split by a center tap on the transformer at the street (this is where your neutral wire is derived from) . In your electrical panel is every other breaker is connected to one side of the split or the other. Loads connected...
  10. Drick

Filtering after a backwashing Activated Carbon Filter?

I added a 10" housing with a 30 micron sediment filter after my Catalytic Carbon filter. It stays fairly clean, but it does occasionally pick up carbon particles, especially after re-bedding or disturbing the carbon filter. Since adding the filter I haven't had any problems with filter...
  11. Drick

Filtering after a backwashing Activated Carbon Filter?

I have a carbon filter and agree with this. I had a piece of carbon make its way up into the shower mixing valve on the second floor. I ended up having to replace the mixing valve cartridge. Personally I'd just move the big blue you have now after the carbon filter. -rick
  12. Drick

Bonding a pool and pool equipment

All bonding related to the pool should return to the pool panel and should not be interconnected to the pool house panel ground rods.
  13. Drick

Well pump and sprinkler problem

T.T, if your plan is to get rid of the tank and pressure switch you need to think about how you are going to handle the case of a zone valve failure. If one of your valves fails to open (ex. bad solenoid) the pump start relay will still activate the pump, but the pump will deadhead with moving...
  14. Drick

Grundfos Booster pump install.

Hmm, short of calling the manufacturer I guess I'd roll the dice and wire it up as a 120V pump and test it. If it puts out the correct GPM, reaches cutoff , and runs normally I'd feel comfortable saying its a 120v pump. Cary said the pump could be wired for either. Given the nameplate says...
  15. Drick

Grundfos Booster pump install.

240 Volt pumps do not have a neutral. The only reason for a 240 volt appliance to have a neutral would be if some component inside the appliance required 120 volts, like a clock on an 240 volt electric range. Check the nameplate voltage. Are you sure what you are looking at is a neutral...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks