Recent content by DoubleEagle

1. DoubleEagle

Are the Motor Bearings Bad? Trane XL80

Two stage Trane XL80 from 1992. Don't know if it's the original motor but the capacitor seems to be from 2010. Do I need to replace this motor, if so, which brand and model can I use? Should I change the capacitor at the same time; which brand and model? Thanks.
  2. DoubleEagle

Removing Blower to Change Anode on A.O. Smith Powershot 50 100

By the way, here are pictures of the rod removed from the 8-year old tank.
  3. DoubleEagle

Got it, thanks. And I thought you had to blow into the vests on the airplanes to inflate them. Isn't that what they show you on the safety video?
  4. DoubleEagle

Thanks for the ideas. I'm definitely going to look into the pan the next time the heater is swapped out. There is a drainage pipe and when I used the valve on the side of the tank to bleed out the air, the water drained into the pipe through a clear tube. So that drainage pipe, I'm guessing...
  5. DoubleEagle

Thanks for your post. Yes, I knew they made the segmented version of the rod but I have enough clearance up above so I did not need to buy the segmented version. Question is how long will the short one last (i.e., six-months? a year before it's caked over again?) Because the unit is on the...
  6. DoubleEagle

Update An update from OP: Finally got around to work on this again yesterday. With a little more will power (and muscle), I was able to slip off the rubber seal that connects the blower unit to the 3" flue pipe to remove the blower and get access to the top of the heater. This was the...
  7. DoubleEagle

OK, I plan on using an impact wrench (as I understand that is how the anode rods are installed from the factory). I just need a step-by-step on which pipe to desolder or remove... can anyone walk me through based on my setup?
  8. DoubleEagle

Appreciate your view and the caveats. And all along, I've been under the impression that replacing the anode rod is a maintenance item that would prolong the life of a heater. Do you think there would be a noticeable difference if I replaced the current anode rod AND installed another rod...
  9. DoubleEagle

Thank you; you're right that going the sharkbite route would be additional investment. I'm open to learning how to solder. Based on the pictures of the hot and cold sides, would you apply heat to the hex nut connector and screw that off? After that comes off, I'm assuming the dip tube becomes...
  10. DoubleEagle

Not being in the trade, I had to search for what a sharkbite fitting is. I think it's a good suggestion because it would allow for future accessibility to the top of the heater (in case I need to change another anode rod if the heater lasts me another 7 years). In a "why'd they do that"...
  11. DoubleEagle

The blower normally sits flush on top of the heater and covers the anode rod opening. If I understand your question correctly, the blower is attached to the top of the heater by four screws. The second picture shows the blower after removal of the screws and lifted up on one side; the other...
  12. DoubleEagle

I ordered a new aluminum anode for my 8 year old A.O. Smith Powershot 50 100 and hoped to change it yesterday. I unscrewed the 4 screws on top attaching the blower unit to the heater, removed the two clamps on the rubber transition that connects the exhaust of the blower unit (2" diameter) to a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks