Recent content by Don Zorn

1. Don Zorn

Copper pipe - pinhole leaks and green spots

Master plumber mark - Interesting. So what did the electrician do to fix the problem? Curious?
  2. Don Zorn

Ball Valve vs. Gate Valve

I don't think I overheated the valve when soldering it - but who knows - maybe I am. I did open the valve when soldering as recommended by the manufacturer and tried to apply the heat evenly around the valve/pipe before applying solder. Any tips on what I could do differently next time...
  3. Don Zorn

Ball Valve vs. Gate Valve

This is general question on which type of valve is more reliable. On the advice of a plumbing associate at my local HD, I soldered a "sweat type" ball valve on the 3/4" cold water supply to my hot water heater. After turning on the water I noticed a small pin hole leak in the valve itself...
  4. Don Zorn

Soldering copper with dripping water.

Rio - Beads - interesting - I got to get some of these - next stop to HD and I will see if I can pick some up. I did remove all of the aerators and flushed out all of the lines. Thanks for the tip. :) Did a google search on Jet Sweat and came up empty handed. I have heard that some...
  5. Don Zorn

Soldering copper with dripping water.

When soldering copper in the basement, I shut off the main water supply line to the house and open up all taps in the house, but the water seems to keep dripping forever - making it impossible to solder. The only thing that I have found to alleviate this problem is to stuff some compacted...
  6. Don Zorn

Hot Water Heater

hj - What you say makes sense. Jim - I guess I can just hook up a hose and drain soem water off the bottom every 6 months. Any other opinions about the self cleaning hot water heaters out there? :) Don
  7. Don Zorn

silicone remover by AMTEX??

Not sure about AMTEX, but this link may help. Good Luck. :) http://floorstransformed.com/ceramic_tile/messages/17542.html Don
  8. Don Zorn

Laying tile floor - what is proper subfloor?

Greg - I hear ya. I thought the same thing - screw the underlayment right through the subfloor into the joists = nice solid floor = less tile cracking. But apparently I was wrong. It is even listed in the TCA handbook - only screw the underlayment into the subfloor. :) Now this is for a...
  9. Don Zorn

Laying tile floor - what is proper subfloor?

Underlayment Joint Position vs. Subfloor Joint Position Kavita - If you are interested, read this article for more tips on how to place the underlayment (ie. top layer of plywood) relative to the sub-floor (bottom layer of plywood) in order to reduce tile cracking...
  10. Don Zorn

Radiant Heating

John - I can't answer your questions, but I think that if you went with the electric radiant heating on a cement slab, the thing would take forever to warm up. Note that I installed radiant heating cable in a second floor ensuite bathroom on a plywood subfloor above a heated room below and...
  11. Don Zorn

Hot Water Heater

I am in the market for a new hot water heater. I currently have a Rheem Rudd 40 gallon gas direct vent (model RQD40-38M). I got 5 years out of the first Rheem Rudd before the tank started leaking and 12 years out the second Rheem Rudd - and the tank is just now starting to leak. Is there any...
  12. Don Zorn

Anti-Scald Valve

As of Sept. 2004, any plumbers installing a new hot water heater in our area are required to install an anti-scald valve which is set at 120F to protect the homeowner from potential burns. The valve costs about $200 Cdn. Just curious if this is a requirement in your area and if so, are these...
  13. Don Zorn

Tub Drain Stopper Replacement

Hi Clayton -- Turns out there is a floor joist right where the drain would need to go on the Geberit tub waste overflow - probably why a direct drive waste was used when the house was built. So I ended up installing an OS&B 314DC-20BCP brass cable driven direct drive unit. To install the...
  14. Don Zorn

Caulk toilet to floor

Thanks for your response!
  15. Don Zorn

Tub Drain Stopper Replacement

Clayton - Thanks for your post. Yes - that is exactly what I have - a direct drain waste. Downloaded the OS&B catalogue off the internet and low and behold - they do have both cable driven and toe clicker models in the direct drain configuration. I actually managed to get a hold of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks