Recent content by Doherty Plumbing

1. Doherty Plumbing

Have you seen this type of pipe before!?

Hey guys, I was called out to a house to add a zone off the boiler loop for a new bedroom. At first glance I thought I was dealing with copper. As soon as I started to shine up the "copper" so I could cut it and solder on a new fitting I noticed that the "copper" was shining up silver! I asked...
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Basement bathtub drain + roughin install gone wrong ?

That plumbing is honestly just very very bad. And no it's not code compliant. You need to jack hammer out the drain and redo everything. It's that simple.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Properly venting a toilet in Canada

They're illegal. A flat dry vent is a portion of a vent pipe that connects to a soil-or-waste (SOW) pipe BELOW a nomially vertical angle. IE. The vent connects to the SOW pipe "flat". This is bad because eventually the vent is going to get plugged up because anything that happens to settle...
  4. Doherty Plumbing

How's my plumber doing?

Can no one take a joke these days?
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Polybutylene Advice

What PEX crimp rings are you using that are corroding? polybutylene to PEX
  6. Doherty Plumbing

Properly venting a toilet in Canada

You don't need to seperately vent the toilet in your drawing there. Not only that but it's an illegal flat dry vent anyway. You can wet vent the toilet through the sink, as long as the part of the sinks drainage that is both a vent and a drain (the actual wet vent) is 2" in size.
  7. Doherty Plumbing

Toilet Shower Sink drain venting, Canada

Nope you can't do that because you have a fly dry vent AND you are wet venting a fixture past a water closet. You can't do this either. You need to tie the sink drain into the vertical "2 vent" you have labelled. Then you also need to try and tie the shower drain in upstream of the toilets...
  8. Doherty Plumbing

Help! CI Hot Water Radiator sits higher than the unions.

+1 to that. It's probably the cheapest and easiest way to fix that problem. But if it were me I'd find a fab shop of some kind that will cut the 4 legs down for you to exactly what you need so the rad sits flush on the floor and doesn't rock.
  9. Doherty Plumbing

Polybutylene Advice

This is usually what I do unless I am requested to do something else.
  10. Doherty Plumbing

Getting #*$% drain auger past 90.

Getting a 1/2" snake around a 1 1/2" 90* elbow is going to be tough, especially if you aren't able to spin the cable as you push on it. But who knows what's inside your walls and what fittings were used. Maybe the snake is going around a tight bend and getting stuck on the inside the pipe on the...
  11. Doherty Plumbing

Polybutylene Advice

PB is nasty nasty piping and if you have access to any of it you should replace it. So yes replace every inch of it you can get your hands on!!!!! If you're redo'ing the flooring you're much better off to cut out the floor, imo, because it's much easier to cut pieces of ply wood to lay...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks