Recent content by Doc_U

1. Doc_U

Advice - B-W RG250T6X-475 for home at ~4,000 ft

Other than expansion tank, straps, pan, new supply and gas lines (Flexible because CA), etc am I missing anything? Also, is there anything wrong with just getting the standard model and replacing the orifice? I may be able to find the standard one a fair bit less expensive... Thx! -Doc
  2. Doc_U

Moen Shower Cartridge Removal Tool

Shower was dripping, getting worse. Wife Acceptance Factor was rapidly declining. Decided to replace the cartridge, after some research, including this forum. Picked up the 1225 and some silicone grease at Home Depot. Didn't get other tools since I was stupid. Pulled the core out of the...
  3. Doc_U

GE (Rheem) 40 Gal Gas - Water cools when not used

No, even in the original install (which I was not a part of) there was no reduction in size. The new one uses 3/4" CPVC and is 3/4" all the way to the run in the wall (3/4" copper), which I shortened and 90'd out to a 3/4" copper threaded coupling. None of the couplings reduce size. I actually...
  4. Doc_U

A couple more of the final install. This shows the overall layout of the lines, etc. Added a sediment trap for the WH in accordance with code. About halfway through the job I decided I liked the pipe tape way more than the pipe dope in the tube. Glad this job's finished. Now need...
  5. Doc_U

The after pictures Here's the final result of the WH replacement. The new water heater, BW 50 Gal. A slightly less goofy TPR valve piping. Anyone know if there's an issue having the outlet of the TPR valve at this angle? It's just a little below 90, for the downslope to the...
  6. Doc_U

Called the supplier and 4-5 week lead time on the tank with the top T&P, so I'll just drop straight down from the T&P valve, then take a 90 to the wall to and thru to another (outside) 90. I'll probably put a union on it so it can be dissassembled when needed. I can do this with copper instead...
  7. Doc_U

Gas Piping questions The answer is yes, since the inlet on all the 50 gal tanks is 1/2", so this removes most of my other questions about the gas line. Will replace the flex line anyway since I don't know its age or condition. -doc
  8. Doc_U

Yes, I'll definitely be strapping it to the studs per the codes. The current strapping job is kind of half-assed. I also noticed a few things when I went to measure and plan the install of the new tank. The existing WH has the T&P valve on the top, exiting at 59". It makes a loop through...
  9. Doc_U

Yes, I have tried adjusting the T-stat and it seems to work to adjust the "initial" temp of the water, but the same issue happens after it stands for awhile. Don't really want to crank it way up (hottest temp read out of the kitchen faucet was 122 F) since I have two kids under 5... Did some...
  10. Doc_U

I have a 40 Gal GE Gas WH which is now about 10.5 yrs old, came with the house 3 yrs ago. Naturally this WH had a 9 year warranty which is now expired. The symptom I am experiencing is that the temperature of the water can vary quite widely. In the morning, the water is barely hot enough...
  11. Doc_U

Kitchen drain w/disposal rework

After reading here for awhile, this is the option I have decided to attempt. I will saw off that hacked-up mess near the wall and attach a threaded fitting to it so I won't have to do THAT again. The main problem I forsee is that the waste outlet in the all will be directly behind the...
  12. Doc_U

Moving the disposal to the right bowl would raise the outlet from the disposal approx 1.25", so the new height will be at 14.75" vs the 12.5" of the current rough-in. Is this enough to make a positive change? I'd really like to try to fix this without ripping open the wall, if at all...
  13. Doc_U

Have a poor situation with the existing setup in our new (to us) house. When the disposal, (which is currently installed on the left (larger) bowl of the double-bowl sink) is turned on when the sink has water in it, debris and water shoot out of the right hand sink, unless the drain plug basket...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks