Recent content by DIYER39

1. DIYER39

Relocate sediment trap BEFORE flex gas line

This morning I spoke with a very nice gentleman from the IAPMO and I wanted to pass along some information. He is an expert in the field and is also very familiar with southern California. He was very helpful and willing to explain everything in detail, but Ill try to sum things up below...
  2. DIYER39

I think the code diagram is a little funky. If I were to follow it perfectly, I guess I could use an elbow and flow gas into the top and out of the side to the water heater. Have not seen it done that way before. I think this is kind of a grey area for plumbers and from what I've read, most...
  3. DIYER39

Thanks Niccolo. It should be easy to change if necessary. In case anyone is wondering, the 8-9 year old sediment trap did not have any sediment at all.
  4. DIYER39

Fascinating! I'm interpreting the picture example to mean that all sediment traps now be horizontal looking like a long pipe. "Gas supply inlet" is a dead giveaway. Picture should really be flipped on its side, ha! ha! Here's a pic of what I ended up with. Had to change the drain valve...
  5. DIYER39

Well said, and great advice Phog. Thank you. Anyone else familiar with sediment traps or California code willing to contribute some expertise? There is not a lot of simple to understand information online about the 2016 sediment trap code changes, so Im willing to bet this thread will help...
  6. DIYER39

I read something about gas having to flow into the leg so that it traps sediment, but that would not look like the standard vertical sediment trap. I bet these plumbers are having a good laugh watching me figure this out :-)
  7. DIYER39

I understand your frustration Niccolo. One thing I have learned about any professional in any field....Just because you hire a professional does not mean that things will be done perfectly, up to code, or even right for that matter. When I take on a new DIY project, I often improve on the...
  8. DIYER39

Thank you Phog. I finally realized that I needed a new valve last night. Let me try to answer your questions as politely as possible. I really do appreciate your help and I assure you that I am being as careful as possible. Yes, I will eventually have a code inspection. I admit that I do...
  9. DIYER39

I think I figured it out. Does the sediment trap go on before the valve?
  10. DIYER39

Well Niccolo, I think we are at the right forum. Two different big box stores were stumped today when I asked them about the proper adapter to use. They said most people don't even have a sediment trap ha! I've figured everything out except for what adapter to use from the valve to the T...
  11. DIYER39

I hope everyone is healthy and staying safe out there. I recently installed a new water heater exactly as the old one was installed by a plumbing company. Everything went smoothly. Shortly after, I learned about new code (2016) that requires the sediment trap to be installed before the flex...
  12. DIYER39

Oatey washer shut off valve

I see. Thank you Koa. All advice and suggestions are appreciated for sure and Im happy to learn about those type of valves. I recently had a hose burst at the connection point so I myself will try to limit the amount of connections from now on. The connection looked fine from the outside but...
  13. DIYER39

Your just playing with us amateurs right? Are you suggesting leaving the crusty old non functioning valve in place and daisy chaining another new valve behind the washing machine? Maybe I am misunderstanding.
  14. DIYER39

Hey Jerry, assuming you are trying to follow "plumbing code", do they even make regular compression fittings for in wall use? If not that would make your choice a simple one but hopefully an expert can chime in and help. Whenever I DIY electrical and plumbing stuff I always think about the...
  15. DIYER39

Nice work Jerry. Looks great. I would not be comfortable putting a sharkbite inside the wall, but your comfort level is all that matters. Canadian valves arrived lightning fast today so I just popped them in a few minutes ago. Lowes straight thread valve was doing great but wife was not...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks