Recent content by DirtyBrad

1. DirtyBrad

Installing a K-304 Kohler Rite-Temp bath & shower valve.

Thanks, Terry. There are also a couple of holes in the plastic face that look like they're expecting screws. Seems weird the valve body doesn't have a couple of ears to screw in like Delta and others.
  2. DirtyBrad

Installing a K-304 Kohler Rite-Temp bath & shower valve.

Just got one and I have a stupid question. How do I attach the valve to the framing?
  3. DirtyBrad

Jog in vertical waste pipe

There actually is one in the cast iron. There are two bells in the cast iron, the one pictured and another that I omitted that has a cleanout. I'm going to remove that cap, which is PVC, then plug that with rags to keep stuff from above falling into the pipe when I remove the upper bell and...
  4. DirtyBrad

Fantastic, thank you very much. And thank you again for this forum. I've only posted a couple of times, but I read it all the time and it's saved me countless dollars and mistakes.
  5. DirtyBrad

I have what I think is a simple question, but I'm coming up blank. I'm redoing a first floor bathroom and moving one wall 9" so I can build a hallway. The stack that serves the bathroom is in that wall. The second floor room above is currently open, so relocating the vent pipe up there is...
  6. DirtyBrad

Sweat quality control

Thanks for the quick response and the excellent forum. It's been an invaluable resource that is much appreciated.
  7. DirtyBrad

Sweat quality control

Thanks very much. I fluxed and soldered and tried to err on the side of more flux when in doubt. I'll get everything connected and keep an eye for the rest of the week. How about the valves, anything to worry about there? They still feel smooth. I don't feel any binding or play, but they...
  8. DirtyBrad

Sweat quality control

I'm working on a kitchen remodel, which is the first real plumbing I've done. The house has 1/2" copper pipe for water and PVC for waste. I've been reading and watching all I can on-line about sweating the pipe and did several practice pieces before diving in. My joints aren't gorgeous...
  9. DirtyBrad

Draining water heater TPR valve

Gary, thank you very much for the information. I will look to put in a PRV after my outside faucet line but before everything else. Can you expand on pressure vs. flow? I can see where different systems could have different pressures, but the same flow. But if the only variable is the...
  10. DirtyBrad

Is there plumbing code that pertains to max pressure? I can't find anything but minimum. If it's not a code question, how big is the extra 10psi practically? All the PRVs I've seen have had a max of 75psi. I have nice water pressure in the house and I hate to think about losing more than...
  11. DirtyBrad

I got the heater installed last night. I bought an expansion tank, but did not end up installing it yet. When I got home, I tested the pressure on my outside faucet. It was 90psi. The expansion tank I bought, a Watts DET 12, said that it shouldn't be installed where the pressure was above...
  12. DirtyBrad

I got a pressure gauge and will be checking that out tonight. I already have the new water heater, so that bridge is crossed. With an air gap, is that actually above the pipe or just putting the pipe inside a larger one similar to a washer outlet house hooked over a standpipe?
  13. DirtyBrad

nukeman, I thought about cutting the standpipe down for this. It was in there before for a W/D which has since been moved, so no reason it has to be up as high as it is. The only issue is that it's on the opposite wall from the water heater, such that I'd have to run the drain line all the way...
  14. DirtyBrad

That's interesting, thank you. When we bought the house six months ago, the inspector warned us that the water heater was at the end of its service life (12 years, I think?). What prompted replacing it with the new one was coming home to that thing leaking water onto the floor in a very steady...
  15. DirtyBrad

I just purchased a new 50 gallon natural gas water heater and have been doing my research on installing it, but I'm not clear on how the TPR valve should drain. The old unit had a vertical pipe that just terminated about 18" from the floor, so any water would just dump out next to the water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks