Recent content by Dirtmover

1. Dirtmover

Water pressure dropping off

Turns out the gate valve after the pressure tank was seized and was only about 1/2 open but had become pretty badly fouled with iron deposits over time to the point where I could only see a very small opening through it. That valve is superfluous so I got rid of it altogether.
  2. Dirtmover

Cleaning lower basket

I've got an older GE softener and was wondering if there are any tricks to get the lower basket out and back in again without removing all of the resin. I did clean the top end which had quite a bit of iron buildup and took quite a bit of scrubbing so I suspect the bottom basket may be in a...
  3. Dirtmover

Bypassing the sediment filter makes a very small difference. I can put a pressure gauge at all of the places you suggest but not quite sure how to use it. With no water flowing it will read the same as the gauge on the tank tee even if there is a restriction somewhere.
  4. Dirtmover

Good point about it not going below 40psi and the gauge does indeed confirm that the pump kicks in at the correct point. The pump cycles as I would expect, for example, when I take a shower the tank draws down for the first few minutes to a point where the flow is quite pitiful which makes for...
  5. Dirtmover

My setup: pump -> pressure switch (40:60) -> tank -> sediment filter -> softener Been noticing the water pressure/flow drops considerably more than it used to when the pump is not running and the pressure tank is emptying. Everything is fine while the pump is running. The drop is noticed on...
  6. Dirtmover

Moen kitchen faucet - low flow problem

Thanks guys, my free warranty replacement diverter valve is on its way. I'm sure that will fix it.
  7. Dirtmover

No change there then. It doesn't turn the spout off anyway instead making the flow better out of the spout when the spray is on. Thanks for the tip. If Home Depot don't stock it I'll just remove it until I get a chance to visit the local plumbing supply store.
  8. Dirtmover

Thanks, this is exactly the conclusion that I was coming to after doing a bit more reading this morning. I know exactly where it is. I popped it out yesterday and cleaned the scale off it and from the mating surface in the spout, greased the o-rings with silicone grease and put it back together...
  9. Dirtmover

Yeah, should have mentioned the aerator is clear. Supply pipes are 1/2" copper. Pressure is fine - well water 30/50psi. All other faucets OK. Behaviour is the same with full hot, full cold or half and half.
  10. Dirtmover

I've got a Moen kitchen faucet whose flow is a bit temperamental sometimes slowing to a trickle. I picked up a replacement 1225 cartridge assuming that there was some issue with it but alas this made no difference. I did however notice when the flow from the tap slows if I use the hand spray it...
  11. Dirtmover

10" versus 12" toilet - what have I got?

I think this may work as I only need to move it about 1/2" forward. Should I: - put the repair ring above the spacers - put the repair ring below the spacers and move the whole "stack" forward by 1/2" also, which repair ring to use: http://www.lowes.ca/search/toilet-flange.html
  12. Dirtmover

In this case I think it was probably ignorance. Plumber? I don't think so! This was a DIY job and he probably didn't even realise that he'd got the wrong toilet for the rough in. It was pure luck it was even this close. I've seen pretty decent prices for 10" rough ins in the US e.g. American...
  13. Dirtmover

Yeah, my measurements are from the wall. I think the previous owner just squeezed that toilet in best he could and ignored the fact that it was about 1/2" too big for the rough in. The fact the bolts were angled forward and the bowl was wobbling is what got me investigating.
  14. Dirtmover

Just bought and older property. The flange is centred about 10.25" from the wall, 10" rough in I assume?. The toilet sits with the tank touching the wall. The flange bolts are tilted forward into the holes, on the toilet, which are centred about 10.75" from the wall. It fits, almost, but not...
  15. Dirtmover

Shallow well water quality

Thanks for the on topic answer. This is what I was thinking. How good/reliable are these lights. Can they be considered a dependable first line of defense or should I still be regularly testing the water?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks