Recent content by Dgeist

1. Dgeist

Leaking screwdriver stop in shower valve

I was able to get a hold of AS. They identified that the part is m970451-0070a and it's serviceable with the tile installed (just with access via the fixture ring). They're sending me one under warranty. It'll take a few weeks but hopefully solves the problem. Dan
  2. Dgeist

Gurgling sound in my sink when I flush

Not so much that you have a hard time handling it. Not so little that the heat won't do anything. Mostly, You want to get enough down there so you can tell what's going on, but not so much that it spills out and creates a hazard on your roof. BTW, if you had a nail puncture during that reno and...
  3. Dgeist

Check the temp on the vent pipes in the garage roof. If they're metal, any water in them will freeze a lot faster (plastic's a better insulator). Pay special attention to any horizontal runs or places where there's a vertical to horizontal transition. If you can, try taking a container of hot...
  4. Dgeist

Gurgling is caused by inadequate (or absent) air replacement as the water moves through DWV pipes. Your sink and toilet probably share a vent in some way (hence both being impacted). The sink gurgling is suction in the drain attempting to replace the air via your lavatory trap when you flush...
  5. Dgeist

Cold snap suggestions.

In case it's not obvious, don't forget most external spigots (should) have a shutoff on the interior of the structure. Find it and turn it off, then open the spigot. Assuming it's not frozen solid already, any water in the supply should drain out. Let it drain as much as you can before you cover...
  6. Dgeist

Leaking screwdriver stop in shower valve

I recently installed an American Standard "Flash" shower rough-in valve with screwdriver stops. There was a TINY amount of leakage on the cold side that would drip once every minute or so. The day before my tile crew is set to arrive, I fiddled with it to try to get it to stop completely so...
  7. Dgeist

Slow leaks in lav supplies...next steps?

Quick note: Three hours after checking the first time, the 2 supplies for one sink appear to have no additional moisture. The other side had about enough to dampen the tissue, but that's all. Is this one of those "take them off and make sure I didn't deform the pipe/ferrule, wrap a turn of PTFE...
  8. Dgeist

Slow leaks in lav supplies...next steps?

I've just finished installing the supply valves (4x 1/4 turn brasscraft compression to 1/2" copper tube) and am having very slight leaks in all of them. Enough to make a damp spot on toilet paper after sitting overnight, but no drips (yet). I've used these before for in both toilet/sink...
  9. Dgeist

Venting question while converting from single to double vanity.

Thanks, Terry. That was my one (hopefully forgivable) sin. I couldn't source one with a sweep with the right dimensions that would fit in tight quarters without completely hacking up the wall. I know it's not technically approved, but since it is a lav and the two 1.5" drains expand into a 2" in...
  10. Dgeist

Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks for the input on my project. After finalizing the dimensions on the vanity, I was able to knock out the stubs this weekend. Here's a before and after:
  11. Dgeist

@Tuttles Revenge, thanks. I'm in conversation with the cabinet maker and countertop folks to answer those very questions. Ironically the existing single drain is perfectly centered and right at 18" from finished floor (and working great for 50 years). If only my family wanted there to be just...
  12. Dgeist

Condensation on vent stack

You didn't mention what material the vent is. If it's Cast Iron, I would expect much more heat (cold) transfer from the roof penetration. Also, how far up from the condensation is your roof? How far does it travel on the outside wall? I know even living in the northern US, we didn't usually have...
  13. Dgeist

@wwhitney , thanks for the link. I hadn't considered incorporating a vertical drop on the individual lavs but that's a good idea that'll keep the "flow-by" from possibly impeding the downstream sink. I may be able to re-use the stud holes and just raise the drain holes a few inches (need to...
  14. Dgeist

@Reach4 , sorry for not being clearer. What you labeled as "G" is what I'm talking about adding in the single-to-double vanity photo in the first post (so I can increase the horizontal slope and still provide airflow). I picked a photo with a lot more going on... :) The "weird things" you're...
  15. Dgeist

Greetings, all. I'm converting my kids' bathroom from a single to double vanity. The DWV stack is CI in the left corner of the room. Above is vent to roof only. The current lav drain is centered in the wall and is 1.5" copper soldered to a 1.25" brass trap at the fixture drain. The wier is JUST...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks