Recent content by DavidD

1. D

Roof Vent Pipe, Help Please

Thank you, GrumpyPlumber for those kind words. I agree Steve. And if you look at my first post, I thought it was a reasonable question put forth in a respectful way. I am sure that hj is very knowledgeable and donates a lot of time and knowledge to this forum. He was the first to respond to...
  2. D

Actually, the vent WAS plugged and yes, I used a shop vac to clear it. And I never said my toilet wouldn't flush. Well, maybe you should reconsider being a moderator for a DIY advice forum then. I am sorry for your time spent. Ethically, that kind of thing should not happen. Just so you...
  3. D

Well, actually no one mentioned the shopvac method. My own ingenuity came up with that. I don't think that keeping methods a secret is really an issue. There are dozens of DIY television programs and countless books that disclose the best methods for getting things done. Is it wrong to have...
  4. D

Well, I called several plumbers today. A couple gave me an estimated flat rate for the job, both around $275. Another gave a $65 service and $80/hr with 2 guys because of the second story (I understood this then to be $160/hr). Two methods were spoken of as I understood them: An augur...
  5. D

Thank you, geniescience and others who responded. "The first response, from hj, said a lot in a few words. It could be argued that everything he didn't say didn't need to be said." Others did add very useful information, to which I did reply, "Good info." I didn't want to say thank you till...
  6. D

Did I not say this in my first post? What is the point of this forum if I can't run things by people first who are NOT interested in getting my money? Please read the posts before making such 'BRILLIANT' comments. I've already admitted my ignorance on the matter, which makes me a prime...
  7. D

Regarding my question about typical mid-west rate range... I am not looking for specifics necessarily. I don't know if plumbers charge $30/hr, or $75/hr or $150-200/hr. Main focus with this: 1hour x $30/hr = $30 job; 3hrs x $200/hr = $600 job. Big range! Just trying to get an idea.
  8. D

Good info. Never hired a plumber before. What is the typical mid-west hourly rate (range)? Is there an outdoor rate that is different than indoor? I am sure most of the plumbers have done a few of these. Is this a ten minute job - or at least less than 1 hour (1 hour minimum charge) or a...
  9. D

I am pretty sure our vent pipe is obstructed. I can't see what exactly it is (too far down, but must still be above where the upstairs toilet joins as that still flushes. I don't know if it is bird, squirrel, etc.) Is there a safe way for me to remove the obstruction without great risk of...
  10. D

Air gurgling in Drake & shower drain

The supply hose is a braided stainless steel hose, but I don't see that it has the longer shut-off valve/mechanism on either end. I will pick up a new 1/4 turn shut-off when I am out later and change that out. Will report later. David
  11. D

It is an older, multi-turn style. I'm pretty sure that I got it all the way open, but I will have to check to make sure. David
  12. D

Well, I replaced the fill valve with the Korky QuietFill yesterday. After a day of use, the air gurgle is reduced but still there. I don't recall hearing any shower drain gurgle last night though. So, an improvement, but not a cure all. Give it more time? Any other suggestions? I don't...
  13. D

I don't exactly know what you mean, "may not be closing." It doesn't continue to run or anything. I don't hear any water running/leaking when it is not supposed to (when not flushing). But, I am willing to try a fill valve replacement. I have browsed this forum for a little while and recall...
  14. D

We have had a Drake for about 2 years. Absolutely love it. For a couple of months now, there has been some air gurgling. It started after a particularly cold night (still in winter) and was only in the toilet. It happens near the end of the '3 second flush' when it is pretty much done with...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks