Recent content by dankoos

1. dankoos

Repairing dual layer drywall

I had to remove a section of drywall in a living room. Come to find out it had two layers of 1/2" drywall (fun times removing). This is an exterior wall. Can i use 1/2" thick furring strips (verticle or horizontal?) and one layer of drywall as a replacement or just do two layers that were...
  2. dankoos

Flooring transition with 7/8" height difference

The changes in flooring color are very noticeable, one is a light oak color and the other is a dark oak. Wouldn't the "ramp" style transition that is 3/4" already meet whatever slope requirement there is, i.e. the 1:8 you mention? Meaning, why would they sell it if it is against code?
  3. dankoos

Flooring transition with 7/8" height difference

We converted a single car garage into two bedrooms. The house sits higher than the former garage (garage floor was at ground level). We spanned the old garage floor with 2x10's and after all flooring was installed, the "entrance" to the new rooms (there will not be a door here, there is a...
  4. dankoos

Window installation with nailing fin

I contacted the manufacturer and they told me drip cap was not necessary with the integrated j channel, there is nothing for the drip cap to protect, the cannel is there to funnel water to the sides
  5. dankoos

New Bathroom Next to Current Bathroom - Best layout

Small house, current bathroom is right in the middle, main drain is right below in the crawl space. Vents through attic and then through roof. The new bathroom is going to be converted from a bedroom, right next to this current bathroom. Should I make sure my toilet is on the wall between the...
  6. dankoos

Window installation with nailing fin

I have never installed a window before and I am confused on the need for drip cap on the particular model of window I purchased. The window has a nailing fin and integrated J channel and brickmould. The instructions say to use dripcap, UNLESS it has the brickmould. Every video I watch on window...
  7. dankoos

Separate "breaker box" needed for electric hot water tank?

The main panel is in the hallway, right around the corner from tank. It has the double pole switch in the main panel, so can this box next to the tank go away? It has a bad connection and needs either replaced or removed, trying to figure out which is best
  8. dankoos

Separate "breaker box" needed for electric hot water tank?

My electric hot water tank has its own double pole breaker in the main house electrical panel. On the wall next to the tank is also a separate "braker box" which has another shutoff...is this second box required by code? Just curious why it would be needed if it is required?
  9. dankoos

New electric water heater - lukewarm water

So here is where I am. The electrician says the small "breaker box" (my description, don't know actual name) that feeds the electrical connection to the tank almost looks like it was used outside, has some bad contacts. He also said there were some loose wires at the tank itself. He fixed it...
  10. dankoos

No tempering valve. Electrician coming to check the electric connection and such...I am doubting he will find anything but hope i am wrong. The tank installer blamed electric without even coming out.
  11. dankoos

Have a house I bought less than a year ago. Old tank leaked, so home warranty company paid to have replaced. They installed new AO Smith tank with expansion tank (which we didn't have previously). Water was lukewarm and Factory setting was 120 degrees. I bumped both thermostats to 140 before...
  12. dankoos

Sump Pump Drain

is it draining into your sewer line?
  13. dankoos

Sillcock/Hose Bib Cover Question

Thanks...yes, we are leaving furnace on at 50 degrees when not there. In fact, the installer even put a vent in the crawl as well, so it is getting direct heat. Not sure if I am getting to it this season, but plan on installing rigid insulation on the interior walls of the crawl and sealing...
  14. dankoos

Sillcock/Hose Bib Cover Question

I have an older house (actually a 2nd home) that has three outdoor spigots. One appears to be a frost free, the other two definitely are not. In previous years, I believe the former owner just winterized the entire house, drained all the pipes. We installed a furnace and plan on using it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks