Recent content by curious_george

1. curious_george

Looking for plumber in Chicago with ejector pit experience

Thanks, we'll see if we can get to the bottom of this!
  2. curious_george

Identify this square mass in old ejector pit

I'm leaning towards your second hypothesis - I think when they decided to add the bathroom, they just "re-purposed" the catch basin into an ejector basin. Just don't know how to really tell that, especially since after the rain from the past two days, the pit fills up with water with no basement...
  3. curious_george

Thanks; that confirms what I suspected - that the inlet should be dry unless it is draining into the pit. The bathroom, utility sink, and floor drains do enter the pit via the 3 or 4 inch inlet pipe on the side of the cast iron basin. It may be hard to see, but there a round shape at the top...
  4. curious_george

We had rain yesterday so I did an experiment - in the morning, emptied the pit fully. By evening, pit was full with very oily water. The baffle does have water dripping out of it at the bottom, and the inlet for the bathroom also had a slow trickle of water coming out of it that just didn't seem...
  5. curious_george

Venting ejector pit to basement bathroom vent?

So it will not be up to code, got it. Second part - will it work? I believe the toilet/sink/shower are vented through a "wet vent" that also connects to my kitchen upstairs.
  6. curious_george

The tank level never goes below the bottom of the square baffle; the baffle exterior always has water about halfway. The water level in the tank does not fluctuate that much after a pump. At the highest water level in the tank, it's about an inch above the top of the inlet for the bathroom. At...
  7. curious_george

Looking for plumber in Chicago with ejector pit/catch basin experience I have asked questions here but I feel I need an experienced plumber physically out here to help me with ideas and/or perform the work. I have an ejector pit of a house I just moved into that is not vented & am simply...
  8. curious_george

Correct, the pit does not currently have a vent at all. I just asked a plumber to install one(for sanitary reasons) & tying it into the bathroom vent is the approach he wants to take. Asking if this will simply work properly, and then if it is up to code.
  9. curious_george

Is that per Chicago code? Would the ejector/bathroom/kitchen fixtures cease to work properly if the ejector pit is tied to the bathroom/kitchen vent? My plumber is the one suggesting it, but I just wanna be sure before spending the thousands he wants to fix it. If it helps, I have some...
  10. curious_george

I have a kitchen on the main floor and right below is an ejector pit that serves a bathroom(toilet/shower/sink) & floor drains. This is a 1950s house with a finished basement. Here are the drain connections for the basement bathroom: -> [shower drain{below concrete}] ----> [toilet...
  11. curious_george

Thanks for the terminology....allowed me to find another thread https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?27922-Question-for-SewerRatz in which which the members in that thread called a "catch basin". Based on what SewerRatz said, the kitchen sink, laundry, floor drains, and storm water...
  12. curious_george

Thanks Smooky. I've been tempted to just clean off all the rust to see if that makes things a little clearer, but also don't wanna cause any leaks if the rust is what's keeping stuff intact. Is there a safe plumbing-approved product I could use to clean the rust off? From what I can tell, I...
  13. curious_george

I'm not a plumber or familiar with plumbing but two plumbers I've talked to don't know what this thing is in an ejector pit of a 1950s Chicago house. Anyone know what this is? Other side of the pit with the inlet for bathroom circled:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks