Recent content by CTWeekendWarrior

1. CTWeekendWarrior

Drywall - Paper Tape vs. Self Adhesive Mesh

Thanks for the input, all! I think I'll give the paper tape a whirl. In doing my research, it seems that the people giving advice recommend the paper and stores selling products recommend the mesh. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
  2. CTWeekendWarrior

Drywall - Paper Tape vs. Self Adhesive Mesh

Hello all, Just hung all my drywall and I'm about to start the dreaded taping portion of the project. My question today is in regards to which type of tape to use, the paper kind or the mesh type which is self-adhesive. I have finished drywall maybe two or three times, and I can't say I'm...
  3. CTWeekendWarrior

Name the mystery tile!

The picture below was taken at my cousin's house in Albany NY. The house is an older one, but I'm not sure of the exact vintage. To the right of the TP holder there is a mystery tile that we can't figure out what it is for. It has a shelf at the bottom and there is a vertical divider which...
  4. CTWeekendWarrior

Kickspace Heaters (Beacon Morris)

I'm in the process of adding a bathroom, and wall space for baseboard heat is scarce in my design. I am considering using a kickspace heater, such as the Beacon/Morris Twin-Flo III installed below the vanity. Does anyone have any experiences/input on these units? The bathroom has an...
  5. CTWeekendWarrior

Bathroom Exhaust Vent Size?

My question is regarding a bathroom exhaust vent for a new bathroom I am adding to my home. The volume of the new bathroom is approx. 500 cu ft. (11 ft w X 6 ft D X7.5 ft H). The fan in my other bathroom does a poor job of exhausting steam from the bathroom, and condensation on the walls is a...
  6. CTWeekendWarrior

Seamless Shower Stall

I am looking to buy a seamless shower stall for a new bathroom. Due to space constraints, i would like a 32" wide unit. I am just curious what brands people have had success with or would recommend. Thanks for any advice.
  7. CTWeekendWarrior

Jog in Vent Stack?

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the installation of the waste/vent system will be more complex than I had originally planned. If I had a nickle for every time I said that! I guess I'll just run a new drain line to the basement and tie in there somehow. I put the roof on last weekend, and...
  8. CTWeekendWarrior

Can a 1 piece fiberglass shower enclosure be cut in two and repaired?

I would opt to open up the doorway. It's much easier to patch drywall and you don't have to worry about the possibility of leaks in the future.
  9. CTWeekendWarrior

Did I pay too much for vinyl siding?

Mikey, thanks for the web info. I feel better about my purchase now. I tend to freak out when I buy something without doing any research. Usually I am more prudent when it comes to selecting materials. Now that I'm over that, I am curious what you all think about installing the siding...
  10. CTWeekendWarrior

How times change.

IMHO oak will never go out of style. Wood can be stained, painted, left natural, and survive many style changes over the decades. When I moved into my house, the kitchen cabinets were pine with a light honey type finish. My wife hated them and wanted to tear them all out for some cheap...
  11. CTWeekendWarrior

I have tried to get prices from others in the area, but the only retailer who will sell to a homeowner is Home Depot or the supplier that I purchased from. HD only has horizontal siding, which isn't what I'm looking for. I don't know how things are in AZ, but here in CT it seems like siding...
  12. CTWeekendWarrior

I just ordered some vertical "board and batten" style vinyl siding from a building supplier in north central CT. I was surprised when the bill came to $118/SQ. I have never bought siding before, but having said that this seems to be a high price. Did I get hosed, or does this sound like a...
  13. CTWeekendWarrior

Vent Stack vs. Stack Vent

The low heel does go up to the toilet above, but it does not leak now. I suspect the watermarks that are visible are from a prior life. One of the first projects I did after I bought this house was to replace the toilet, although I must admit that I didn't really pay much attention to the...
  14. CTWeekendWarrior

Jog in Vent Stack?

I'm kind of a novice at this stuff, so I may be confusing my nomenclature. The stack in question is the only existing vertical pipe in my house. At the base of this vertical pipe all of my drain lines tie in. I believe that would make this pipe a stack vent due to waste entering in? The...
  15. CTWeekendWarrior

Bathtub Drain Problems

Well, I got the drain out last night using the method resojoe suggested and it worked, although it took a significant amount of effort. I love how the photo shows a nice clean work surface - kinda misleading. It probably doesn't help that it has been 95% humidity the past few days here in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks