Recent content by ColinMcM

1. ColinMcM

old cast iron radiators primary/secondary layout question

Thank you for the advice guys, and the valve link. It is oxygen barrier pex that I have, a big roll of it, hoping I have enough already... I like the idea of the pump. Which pump would you use for this size system? How do I make that pump talk to the boiler? 3rd floor (1BR apt) is going to be...
  2. ColinMcM

old cast iron radiators primary/secondary layout question

New Utica combi boiler in basement. I am reinstalling three old cast iron radiators on third floor for 600 sq ft tenant apartment (bedroom, bathroom, LR/kitchen). The rads had previously been supplied by steel pipes exposed in rooms running vertical through first and second floors (brick house)...
  3. ColinMcM

Faucet thread sealing bspp

Yeah the loctite 55 actually worked like a charm
  4. ColinMcM

Thanks for replies guys! I will try the twisted tape. I've been watching british plumbing videos and they seem really excited over there about this loctite 55 stuff. I got some to try.
  5. ColinMcM

I am trying to seal a wall mount faucet for a lavatory/bathroom my wife purchased from Morocco. We live in the US, but the thread on the moroccan piece is BSPP G 1/2. I got some G 1/2 dowty sealing washers (steel band with a neoprene gasket inside, and that worked to seal the connections on the...
  6. ColinMcM

Antique toilet flange compatibility

Thank you Terry, I ordered some parts, hoping it will work out.
  7. ColinMcM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p3VBFfGZonYij7eY6 Thanks, attaching them now. I guess I don't know if I can find a 4" outside fit flange. They all seem to be meant for mounting inside the 4" pipe or spigot/riser (and/or outside a 3" one)...
  8. ColinMcM

I am installing an antique (1920s) toilet in new construction. The trapway (2-3/4" ID, 3-1/2" OD) outlet on the bottom of the bowl extends about 3/4" beyond the lip of the toilet base itself. I think it must have been installed such that the floor tile was laid around it after the toilet was in...
  9. ColinMcM

Help DWV newbie DIY powder room/kitchen

Thanks guys! You really helped me understand this better. Looks like I can do the 1/4" pf slope on the horizontals just to be safe. I'll do the AAV for the kitchen sink under the cabinet so that it can double as my cleanout there, and use the wall vent option for the lav one since that sink is...
  10. ColinMcM

Thank you Terry, So if I'm using AAVs/Studor vents, would I just have one on the 2" vertical for the lav, which also wet vents the toilet, and another 2" vertical for the kitchen sink with it's own AAV/Studor further downstream? When you say 42" above that makes me think you meant using...
  11. ColinMcM

Hi all, I've been following the threads, this is a great resource! I'm remodelling an old house that me and my fiancee bought. Only done plumbing repairs in the past (and plumbing on trees for maple syrup but that's another story)... Made a drawing of plan for the first phase - roughing in a...
  12. ColinMcM

Drilling 2x8 rough sawn joists for 3" DWV pipe for toilet drain

Thanks again guys. here's a drawing with dimensions and notes. I moved the toilet location I was originally asking about to simplify the plumbing. Now it looks to me like fitting it in the beam web space and using top mount weld-on hangers will work. the hangers I need are custom but Simpson can...
  13. ColinMcM

Thanks Wayne and Jeff, really appreciate your thoughts. Wasn't aware of the wall hung vs. wall outlet option. We liked the wall hung with the tank hidden in wall because of the clean sleek design and a little more legroom in front of it. But maybe the wall outlet with a normal tank would work...
  14. ColinMcM

It's an old house, we're adding the steel beam to create an open floor plan on ground floor. The rough 2x8s are the existing joists. Suppose I could change out or sister them but that would make my ceilings lower and I'd rather not. We have permits, and already had a structural engineer design...
  15. ColinMcM

Thanks for your replies guys. Here is a picture of another idea. If I can run my 3" PVC drain line in the web space of my W8x40 Steel I-beam, I can avoid drilling joists. Then I will need to use top flange joist hangers that will be welded to the top of beam instead of the face mount hangers...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks