Recent content by celiason

1. celiason

Why would NIBCO/CPI Durapex PEX split (lengthwise) and leak?

Update from Original poster celiason Wow...this thread has really grown... Just wanted to share an update with you... We had another break in our NIBCO/CPI Durapex - hot water side, further down the line. Luckily I was home and able to shut off water quickly avoiding extensive damage...
  2. celiason

Penny, I apologize for not contacting you sooner. Please check your Private messages ... Celiason
  3. celiason

Expansion tank pressure question!

Thank you! Redwood, Thank you for the information! I feel a little better about my expansion tank now... This site is great and I enjoy reading the advice you and the other Plumbers offer! -celiason
  4. celiason

Expansion tank pressure question!

I am trying to learn more about the plumbing industry and I have a quick question about expansion tanks. I understand how they work but my question concerns how the pressure should be set when they are installed. Our water pressure is set at 55 PSI and we have a closed system with a 40...
  5. celiason

Update... I think we may have an answer...sorry for the delay... First, technical at NIBCO/CPI was very helpful and informative. They analyzed my pex sample and found the measurements conformed to standard and based on the "melt test" (tests cross-linkage), they could not confirm that the...
  6. celiason

Thank you! BRB19 -Thank you for the information! I am keeping it with all my records for future reference. Earlier in this process, I contacted the CHUBB Group and was informed by a representative that they only handle liability claims (for damages or injury) caused by CPI DURAPEX...
  7. celiason

What should I expect? Although I am trying to remain optimistic, I am becoming unsure of what to expect when I hear from this manufacturer...am I being completely naive here? I still plan to allow them time to complete their analysis and respond to me, but after reading y'alls posts, I am...
  8. celiason

...one more picture... ...not to keep beating a dead horse... ...here is a picture that shows light coming through the split in the same piece of pex (tricky shot in full sunlight)... (It looks like the pipe started splitting from the inside out and eventually the water pressure was too...
  9. celiason

Thanks for your reply! Redwood, I am glad the pictures came through OK! Now you can understand my puzzlement and frustration about what to do...the split on the interior doesn't appear to run the the whole length of the pipe ( it is hard to tell). When I try to feel down inside the pipe...
  10. celiason

pictures... Redwood, Here are some pictures I took of the second portion of pex removed...each picture is from the same piece of pipe at the same split location... They are the best I could do and I hope they come through OK...please let me know if they don't ( I am a little behind the curve...
  11. celiason

Working on posting a picture... Redwood, Thank you for your interest. I will work on honoring your request for a picture. The splits are lengthwise, about 1-2" long and I will have to use a "macro" lens for the close-up. It almost looks like a a split along a "seam" in the spot. There are...
  12. celiason

jadnashua- Thanks for explaining the copper to pex question. Makes sense to me. I am enjoying exploring this site and I am learning so much... I may not be ready to tackle a major job, but at least I feel I can now understand how things work and ask coherent questions when something comes...
  13. celiason

No light in attic... mc 1 2 3- Thanks for your interest! In answer to your question, there is not a window or opening in the attic that would allow any UV light exposure to the pipe. I have been up there during the day and it is DARK! The only natural light source I can see is dimly through...
  14. celiason

Sandpiper- Thank you for your interest! The pex in question is red in color, brand name Durapex, manufactured by NIBCO/CPI. As for your question about the 18" from the water heater, I do not know. Hopefully one of the other plumbers here can offer reasons for the spacing. Our pex appears to...
  15. celiason

Update (FYI) I have contacted the technical service dept. at NIBCO and sent one of the sections of split Durapex to them for analysis...we shall see what happens.... Thanks again for everyone's input. I am learning alot about plumbing from this forum. .........stay tuned.........
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks