Recent content by ceebee59

1. C

Solder is not melting

Hi, I thorougly cleaned the copper pipe and as far as I could tell, the pipe was dry (or maybe not?). I applied heat where the flux was put to the joint, removed the heat when I touched the solder to the joint. It just broke off in chunks. Tried heating it more (the drywall was start to brown)...
  2. C

electric water heater is 3.5 yrs and kapuut

Did all of the above instructions - but how long should it take to drain the tank? I need to have an idea b/c the cold water valve leading into the tank is old, thus it could have failed to close. Would it take 3 hours? 2 hours? Thanks.
  3. C

It is not working properly - leaking slightly and water is cool. Started to drain the tank - water was warm at first which means that the upper heating element is shot? I'm not calling a plumber just yet as there is a whole bunch of plumbing work to be done as I get closer to completing...
  4. C

A follow up and this is weird to me; I've run the hot water tap since I last posted and cold water is pouring out but when I checked the tank, the copper pipe (hot water outflow) it was hot to the touch. Odd. I checked to see that I flipped the right breaker and from what the electricians...
  5. C

Geez, just when I thought it couldn't get worse the hot water packs it in. I recently experienced a fire though the source was the townhouse next door. The fire was in the roof so the hot water tank was far removed from either smoke or water damage. We had a cold winter this year with no heat...
  6. C

is there a limit to reheating copper?

I think it was the flux this time and perhaps not heating it properly. I just got back with fresh flux (trying tinning flux this time round) and new brushes. It is quite dusty here (major restoration work) so perhaps the flux and brush were contaminated with dust. But it's good to know that the...
  7. C

is there a limit to reheating copper?

Hi, well this will be the 3rd time I will have to "fix" the copper joint seal. B/C I ran water to test it, I know I have to take it apart (which I had done before) and clean it. The last time, it was a son-of-a-gun to pull apart and then the solder stuck to the pipe and fixture like glue. Had a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks