Recent content by CattleDog

1. CattleDog

Furnace/boiler (and HWH) PLACEMENT

If you are going to stick with a gas fired forced air furnace, than placing it in the garage should not be a problem. Tying into your existing ductwork and insulating any runs may be the challenge. If you go with one of the high efficiency furnaces in an unheated space you will have to figure...
  2. CattleDog

Circulator Sizing for Indirect

take a look at Grundfos 15-58 If you are trying to span between a taco 007 and 010 take a look at the small Grundfos three speed. At 10 feet of head you can get 6 gpm on medium and 10 gpm on high with a 15-58. You will have some adjustment possibilities to tune the delta T across the boiler...
  3. CattleDog

Used boiler vs new for radiant heat

radiant floor in garage Terry-- I think you are fine with the choice of a used boiler. It still may be a little large for your well insulated garage and low space temperatures, but the high mass floor is is self buffering. There is a two stage Lochinvar and that would help if it is your...
  4. CattleDog

Redoing Boiler piping

Anthony Check out this video link at TACO for lots of good information about primary/secondary piping, closely spaced t's, and multiple temperatures. http://www.floproteam.com/video/index.html?id=53
  5. CattleDog

Reverse Buffer Tank Setup

Rob-- Dana's comments are right on the money. How are you controlling the slabs? In my experience with high mass slabs, there is better control by using slab temperature alone with an embedded sensor, and tuning it for the desired air temperature in the conditioned space rather than by...
  6. CattleDog

something strange beyond the aquastat.

canadiabel-- One possible way that the well which holds the aquastat probe is not sensing the boiler water in the loop to the water heater is because it becoming air locked. I think that the configuration of the nipple and coupler from the T is to keep the probe well out of the direct flow...
  7. CattleDog

Reverse Buffer Tank Setup

re: reverse bufer tank RJAD-- In my opinion, the best way to lower the return water temperature and improve the condensing efficiency is in the design, sizing, and flow rates for the radiation. Using outdoor reset to lower the supply water temperature when less heat is required is also...
  8. CattleDog

Thermostat transformer

Giles-- You will have significantly more control over the system if you use a digital thermostat with adjustable cycles per hour (cph) and internal control logic for pulse width modulation of the on/off times within the cycle. I think if you want to see if you can get the currrent...
  9. CattleDog

Assistance ASAP please

E-max flapper or conversion float Is anyone aware of a way to purchase the e-max flapper, or the float to convert a g-max to the 1.28. Thanks.
  10. CattleDog

Hybrid Electric Water Heater

It's a heat pump water heater.
  11. CattleDog

Newbie hydronic questions!

#1. Depends. Some systems are set up for constant circulation, but you could have a failed relay or some other problem in the controls which has left the pump constantly running. More information required. #2. No. Pump could be shot or original installation and vibration isolation could be...
  12. CattleDog

Oversized circulating pump repercussions?

The heat transfer to the emitters tends to go up a little bit with flow rate if the incoming water temperature is held constant. I believe it has to do with the turbulance of the flow. There is a trade off with pumping costs at higher flows. Most hydronic baseboards are rated at 1 and 4 gpm...
  13. CattleDog

Adjustable variance thermostat?

Kyle-- It's not easy to tame an oversized system which is short cycling. There are basically two ways in which thermostats run, and you need to determine how your existing control runs and what the settings are in order to work for longer run times. There are stats based on cycles per...
  14. CattleDog

Thermostat questions

What is the model number of the thermostat? What other control settings besides temperature are being used--for example "cycles", or "differential". When the heating is not running normally at setpoint, and the temperature is running consistently below setpoint, does it return to normal...
  15. CattleDog

Recessed Lighting Help Needed

Last year, I completed a complete electrical remodel where we used six inch Halo cans for general lighting. These were the choice of the electrician who overall did high quality work. We used white trim on a white ceiling. Whether or not you can live with he aesthetics of the 6" cans and trim is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks