Recent content by Capt. Skinny

1. Capt. Skinny

What is this in my sewer pipe

Do you mean the dark circle in the center? Looks to me like a fitting that changes direction, and the dark is a shadow where the light from the camera stops. It's hard to tell with the low-resolution images. I'm not in the trade but I've inspected plenty of steam heating pipe with a camera...
  2. Capt. Skinny

Splice new vent into cast iron stack, or replace last few feet of stack with PVC through roof?

I'm adding a branch vent that will run horizontally, in the attic, to the cast iron stack in the photo. My initial plan was to make two cuts in the cast iron and splice in a PVC tee with Fernco couplings. But I'm so close to the roof that I wonder whether I would be better off just removing...
  3. Capt. Skinny

Sterling caulk-free shower kits - waterproof, but what about steam?

Thanks for weighing in. I definitely wouldn't caulk if the instructions say otherwise. But about moisture being OK behind the shower walls and drying up: I'm not sure I'd want any moisture in the enclosed, unfinished wall cavity behind the shower walls. Airflow (in and out) would be minimal and...
  4. Capt. Skinny

Sterling caulk-free shower kits - waterproof, but what about steam?

I recently came across the Sterling caulk-free modular alcove shower lines. I'll accept that the seams are waterproof, but without any sort of gasket or sealant I'm worried that water vapor could still make its way through the seam to the backside of the shower. Does anyone have experience with...
  5. Capt. Skinny

Proposed shared vent configuration: toilet + tub

One more question, @wwhitney - if I vent between the WC and tub per my original plan (but up the tub partition wall instead of behind the joist), and replace the 45 degree bend downstream of the WC closet bend with a wye, at what point upstream of that wye (towards the tub in my proposed...
  6. Capt. Skinny

Ah, yes, that does make sense now that I've thought twice about it. The 60" limit is about how far water must travel before the vacuum is broken; the 2" minimum on the wet vent ensures there is sufficient airflow, regardless of length. Sounds good. I'll have to change everything out from...
  7. Capt. Skinny

Yes, I cross my fingers every time I open a wall, ceiling or floor in this place. I always find something more to fix. There were some half-arsed supports around the toilet fixture, but they were removed with the wet floor after a wax seal failure.
  8. Capt. Skinny

Thanks @wwhitney There is no existing dry vent on the lav--yet. (That's on my list too.) The only venting for these three fixtures is the stack about 5' to the left of the WC closet bend. See attached image. 0) I can meet the 60" threshold from the tub trap to the wye where the lav drain...
  9. Capt. Skinny

Toilet flushes in one particular bathroom always try their best to suck nearby traps dry. Now that I'm renovating that bathroom I want to take the opportunity to install proper venting. The attached files show the existing configuration, and my (incomplete) proposed changes. My questions are...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks