Recent content by c_g_lima

1. c_g_lima

Sediment Filter For Tank Water Heater

Just to close this thread and thank you guys for the feedback. I do appreciate the input. :)
  2. c_g_lima

Just to add some additional info to my post as requested, my house was built in the mid 60s, and it has copper pipes under the slab. Originally the house had galvanized pipes above the slab at all points of service. However, some of them have been updated to either copper or PEX. A few points of...
  3. c_g_lima

I live in a single story house on a slab with a tank water heater inside of a closet on the main floor and all water supply lines running under the slab. I would like to have some type of sediment filtration added to a couple of cold water locations: water heater supply line and washing machine...
  4. c_g_lima

Stop Valve Leaking at Stem. New Packing Works Temporarily

Yes, there was some corrosion on the shaft, and I removed most of it with a fine grit sand paper at the second attempt to fix it when I finally decided to remove the handle and the nut off the body of the valve. The first time I didn't do that. There might still be a very thin layer of corrosion...
  5. c_g_lima

Stop Valve Leaking at Stem. New Packing Works Temporarily

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with some suggestions. I have a stop valve in the supply line of my water heater that has started leaking at the stem. I thought it would be a simple task of repacking the packing nut, but that does not seem to be working. I am using the...
  6. c_g_lima

Service Weight Gasket/Donuts: General Thoughts

Just to add some additional thoughts to this discussion for future reference, would it be a good idea to add a couple of beads of plumbers putty to the ridges of the donut/gasket seal to reinforce the joint against leaks?
  7. c_g_lima

I will grab a couple of those from different brands and see which one has the best fit. Thanks for the feedback.
  8. c_g_lima

I have looked at Charlotte's and Fernco's web sites for their gasket products. I know I will need a 2"x 2" since the bell has around 3" in its internal diameter. However, like you guys noted, I need to pay attention to the accuracy of the measurements. Charlotte has a regular type and a extra...
  9. c_g_lima

What are the general thoughts on those service weight gaskets/donuts when connecting PVC to cast iron? I need to hook up a piece of PVC pipe to a cast iron pipe with a bell. This in something that will be buried under the slab for a bathtub installation. I believe my options are to keep the bell...
  10. c_g_lima

Tub Drain Connection in concrete slab

If you don't mind my intrusion in this discussion, I understand this is a lot more work, but would it be better to completely remove that galvanized drain pipe all the way to the trap and use one of those service weight gaskets/donuts to connect a PVC/ABS drain pipe? I am assuming the trap is...
  11. c_g_lima

1960s Bath Remodel: Tub Drain Repositioning

I am going to have to bug you some more since my original plan took a different route. As I was breaking up a small section of the slab to have some more room for the offsets, I noticed the vertical drain pipe attached to the cast iron trap had some very bad corrosion after 50 years. I also...
  12. c_g_lima

I am planning on just getting one of those overflow/drain kits that come with the trim pieces and PVC elbows. Is that what you were referring as the right kind or is there something else in the market I should use?
  13. c_g_lima

I was wondering if some of you guys could shed some light on what I am trying to do. I am remodeling a bathroom at my house which was built in the 1960s. I have everything down the studs, and the house is on a slab foundation. The old tub which I believe was considered a 32-in tub at the time...
  14. c_g_lima

How to Cap a Toilet Waste Pipe in Slab

Thanks for the suggestion. I will most certainly go with that route based on the pictures I am looking at right now. It looks like something that will be sturdy enough to last for a long time.
  15. c_g_lima

How to Cap a Toilet Waste Pipe in Slab

I live in a house built on a slab, and I am converting a bathroom into a small storage room. I was wonder if some of you guys could share your thoughts on how to cap the 4” cast iron waste pipe where the toilet was. I already broke the slab around it and cut the pipe below the floor level...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks