Recent content by BrianK

1. BrianK

To CSV or Not to CSV, That is the question.

I ordered aCSV1A and can't wait to install and test it out. Hopefully it will work as well as I think it will. I have a filter upstream of my pressure tank to keep rust out of the tank and stuff. Works well with no issues and catches enough to make it worthwhile. I'll take some amp readings...
  2. BrianK

Thanks - that makes lots of sense! At or below the setpoint of say 55 in a 40-60 system with the pump running, the tank would fill to 55 psi because the CSV is open, and once the house demand stops and the CSV closes, it just 'leaks' the last bit of pressure into the pressure tank. No one ever...
  3. BrianK

Hi Dave Your question #3 about pressure tank re-fill rate wasn't answered so I thought I'd share my thoughts (and ramble on a bit) I looked into adding a CSV to my pump/well system a few years ago. I wanted to keep my 20 gallon pressure tank since it was relatively new rather than incur the...
  4. BrianK

Have a question concerning kwh stuff :)

Yeah - the delivery charges are more than the energy cost. My contract provides energy at $0.08/kWhr but by the time I get my bill, the total charges amount to almost $0.19 per kWhr. All the other fees, taxes, distribution & transmission charges, and what ever else they can dream up, are the...
  5. BrianK

How to select the well pump size

Thanks VA. I appreciate the time you took reading my questions and providing your suggestions/answers. I guess it amounts to how much do I want to spend on the system. The more I spend (on a pump), the more capacity I will have. It seems that smaller HP pumps will work but just not as much...
  6. BrianK

I've been doing a little investigating and appreciate your comments on my assumptions below: 1) 1 foot of head of water equates to 0.4335 PSI so the pump at 250 feet requires 108 PSI to the top of the well. Then adding say 25 feet of head to get to the shower on the 3rd floor adds another 10.8...
  7. BrianK

Thanks Valveman for the great info. I wondered about the VFD - high upfront cost and expensive to repair WHEN it fails and electronics will only last so long. I'll look into the CSV - I haven't heard of those before. My cabin has the old pressure switch and tank combo and has been working for 35...
  8. BrianK

Hi All Does anyone have good rules of thumb (or real guidelines) for selecting the proper size well pump, pressure tank and how deep to put the pump? Also - comments on VFD versus a simple pressure switch with tank would be appreciated and any other suggestions or recommendations. Our new 2...
  9. BrianK

Dead Outlets

Ahh yes - but the licensed electrician (not me) too the easy way out and daisychained utilizing the infamous (aka poor) backstabs. I personally would daisy chain using the screw terminals rather than the pigtail method which would be required on both the hot and neutral because I don't like...
  10. BrianK

Dead Outlets

I've also had 2 backstabbed problems in our house (built in 1987). The faulty installations were both in relatively lightly loaded circuits so I don't believe heat was the problem. In both cases, the copper wires were tarnished and not nice shiny copper as they would have been originally so...
  11. BrianK

Looking for some help on garage sub panel

It was interesting watching/reading the 'discussion' between the two posters. While it 'seems' obvious that a 1 amp/120 VAC load on each side of the panel would add up to a 2 amp load on the neutral, what made the concept clear (and obvious) was that the series connection of 2 equal 120 VAC...
  12. BrianK

turn furnace into a fan for summer?!?

I also take the fan compartment door off and run the furnace fan for 'poor mans A/C' and it works well. I also remove the attic access panel and put a fan in that 2'*3' opening. This vents the hot air out of the house by pushing warm/hot air from upstairs out to the attic and helps pull the cool...
  13. BrianK

Laundry/Utility Sink venting in basement

Thanks Mike and Kree. I won't point out my 'deficiency' to the 'qualified' home inspectors as it does seem to work properly. I suspect there is enough venting of the system so that I don't have a vacuum problem with the drains that would suck out or siphon the trap. I have looked occasionally...
  14. BrianK

Squeaky Wheel

The squeaky wheel gets the grease....but it's the first to be replaced.
  15. BrianK

Sincerity

The key to a successful presentation is Sincerity - and once you can fake that - you have it made.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks