Recent content by bosscogg

1. bosscogg

Replace or Modify Iron Toilet Flange?

I can see the text to the wife now: "You know that new bathroom you wanted? Well, you're getting one...with a new house attached." So, drilling it will be. Nope, no leaks. And you're exactly right--the run is quite solid. Is that tarry seep anything to be concerned about? Because in...
  2. bosscogg

Thanks for the reply, cacher_chick. Just checked, and the hub is intact. However, that dark spot is some sort of tarry substance that seems to be oozing from the lead joint. Oakum, maybe? If so, that can't be good, and makes your recommendation to remove the closet bend more appealing and...
  3. bosscogg

Hi, Guys. Bath remodel is coming along nicely, due in large part to the great advice I've received here. I've hit another wall, so hoping someone can again point to the best solution. I've removed the old vinyl flooring and 3/8" underlayment, and am currently repairing the subfloor (1x6...
  4. bosscogg

Wiring Questions For Small Bath Remodel

OK, so sounds like I could go with either. I'd prefer the gfci outlet as opposed to breaker merely for the convenience you mentioned. I have a wet area approved LED can in the shower stall, a light/fan combo just outside in the ceiling, and a vanity light and said gfci outlet at the sink...
  5. bosscogg

I think you're exactly right (if this turns out to be an actual issue and I simply haven't missed something). We don't have many outlets in this old house, which is what that 40a breaker appears mainly to control...with the known exception of my current bath project. Most of our high-draw items...
  6. bosscogg

Finally had a chance to crack open that other box. Found a small fuse panel with one 30a fuse in place. The wires leaving the fuse appear to be #10, but I can't say for sure. Also, if I didn't mention it before, the right hand box has #6 wires exiting through the top that bypass the left fuse...
  7. bosscogg

Really appreciate the interest so far, guys. Have to head out of town for a couple days, but will jump on that other box first thing Sunday.
  8. bosscogg

Thanks for your interest, guys. I took a few pics and learned a couple things. First, the wires coming from the 40a breaker (lower left in pic) are in fact not #12, they're #6: They feed through the lower left conduit to a pair of small boxes about 6' away. Was aware of these...
  9. bosscogg

As obvious as it seems now that you've asked, it didn't even cross my mind to check. I'll do so this afternoon after work and report back.
  10. bosscogg

I get what you're saying. I mean, this simply doesn't make sense. Thing is, after 9 years here I'm confident there is no other exposed panel...perhaps some ancient who-knows-what buried in a wall somewhere? Circuit mapping by a qualified electrician is definitely in order. The wire is...
  11. bosscogg

Hi all, first time poster here. Gotten lots of good advice through the search function, but I've finally hit a wall. And man, what a wall. I'm remodeling a small bath and have upgraded the existing fixtures and added a couple more. Previously there was a ceiling light and a medicine cabinet...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks