Recent content by BobN

1. BobN

Mansfield Alto 137/173 Bad Flushing

I read about something scientists call Goodhart's Law. This principle says that when someone develops a way to measure performance with one number, people will develop a way to score really high in the test without concern for actually making the world better, so that measure becomes worthless...
  2. BobN

Mansfield Alto 137/173 Bad Flushing

In our new house, the builder installed Mansfield Alto 137/173 toilets over cheap offset flanges. The flush valve is FLUIDMASTER 400 Model Anti-Syphon. The house is built on a slab, and the drain pipes are cast into place. They couldn't get the drain in the perfect location during concrete pour...
  3. BobN

Toilet Water Hammer

Follow-up: While the toilet was refilling, I reached under the nearby sink and felt the cold water pipe going to the faucet. Sure enough, when the tank just barely filled, I heard the one second of vibration and felt it strongly in the cold water pipe.
  4. BobN

Toilet Water Hammer

In this 40 year old house, I've never had water hammer problems. Now I have a problem with one old Mansfield toilet. When the float rises to the top, water very slowly stops flowing. After the valve finally shuts, there is a one-second loud vibration. It seems to be coming from the pipes...
  5. BobN

Dishwasher drain installation

Terry and Wayne, Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. "If your drain line fit behind, then there isn't a problem." I can try wiggling the hose to see if it is pinched. Will that tell me, or do I need to remove the dishwasher and measure to know? "...don't want that extra trap..." I see...
  6. BobN

Dishwasher drain installation

Every dishwasher installation manual I have seen talks about a high loop and/or air gap in the drain hose. I understand that. Every dishwasher installation manual also prohibits running the drain pipe up the back of the dishwasher. They insist that the drain hose go through the cabinet at the...
  7. BobN

Beckett AFG - Causing Faint Smell

I had my heating system serviced one week ago (Beckett AFG on Weil McLain boiler in basement). The person who did the work was experienced (18 years) and seemed knowledgeable and quick. He found a bad oil pump seal, so replaced the pump. He cleaned the insides of the burner with brake...
  8. BobN

Baseboard Pipe Abrasion & Corrosion

I am not a plumber so please forgive me if this is a naive question. I have an oil burner firing a hot water home heating system (tankless drinking water and baseboard heat). The baseboard convectors are Slant Fin with copper pipes. The system was installed in 1985. The baseboard pipes...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks