Recent content by Blumengarten

1. Blumengarten

Bleeding radiators

Hi all, My tenant let the baseboard radiators in the garage freeze. My husband soldered on a new section of fin, but air got into the system. I've been bleeding the radiators but there is only one bleeder valve in the living area (yeah, real bad design!). There are three in the basement, and...
  2. Blumengarten

most efficient way to run the furnace

Hi fellas, Now that winter is almost over and the question is nearly moot, I hope you could answer a disagreement! We have hot-water radiators, and my husband turns the thermostat WAY down (like 55!) to save energy. I maintain it's more efficient to keep the temperature constant ... I've...
  3. Blumengarten

The toilet is growling!

The rest of my family thinks I'm crazy, but the toilet is growling when I flush! It sounds like a dolly with metal wheels rolling over rough asphalt. I don't hear it every time, it seems only after the toilet hasn't been used for several hours (it doesn't happen if I flush twice in a row)...
  4. Blumengarten

can't get air out of hot-water radiator system

Thanks, we FINALLY got the heat in all the radiators ... someone from Minnesota would surely know about stuff like this! Thank you! (I do feel like a bled at least 10 gallons over the past two days).
  5. Blumengarten

can't get air out of hot-water radiator system

my tenant left the garage door open in zero-degree weather, and one of the radiator pipes in the basement busted (because he hadn't turned on the thermostat to the basement because he was too cheap and didn't want to heat it!!). So air got into the system. I got the pipe repaired and hot water...
  6. Blumengarten

Brick walkway with retaining wall

Hi guys,
  7. Blumengarten

baseboard water-filled radiator

Thanks, I appreciate your quick response and insight!
  8. Blumengarten

baseboard water-filled radiator

Hi Guys, If you're installing baseboard radiators in a boiler system, do you have to solder the pipes, or may you use compression fittings? Thanks, Blumengarten
  9. Blumengarten

How to wire a new thermostat

It finally got cold again, so I turned the furnace back on yesterday, and it turned itself off, so it was the thermostat after all! Hooray, I'm glad I saved a call to the furnace man. Thanks gentlemen for your help, I appreciate it! Since my father's dead and my husband's not handy, it sure is...
  10. Blumengarten

That's a great point, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for mentioning it!
  11. Blumengarten

My inclination like yours was that it's not the thermostat, but it's the easiest and cheapest thing to fix. I haven't needed to turn the furnace on during the day, so we'll see how it goes tonight. After the thermostat, I'm not willing to do any work on the furnace, of which I know absolutely...
  12. Blumengarten

Thanks very much, I appreciate your help!!
  13. Blumengarten

When I turned my furnace (we have radiators) on for the winter, the furnace wouldn't turn off .. it was over 90° in here! I asked a handy friend what he thought it would be, he said first to replace the thermostat, if it's not that it's probably a thermocouple, but try the thermostat first. So...
  14. Blumengarten

how to repair grout in shower

I spoke with a friend who's a plumber, she didn't see it but she asked me some questions: Does the wall feel soft? No, it seems very sturdy. How do you know it's leaking? I told her about the black on the oak floor in the bedroom, and also there is some black around the faucets where they...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks